Sad Sad Day, Sold the Big Red Truck - Pictures and list of all the things I did to it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the correct operating temperature is 195* I could be wrong. Motorcraft thermostat opens at 190* I know this for sure as I put my new one in a pot of water turned on the heat and it began to open at 190* and was fully open at 195* checked with infrared thermometer.
Minimum operating temp is 195-ish...
I think with a 13 PSI cap your boiling temp is 220*-225*
You are forgetting the glycol.
50/50 glycol/water mix boils at 223F at atmospheric.
At 12 psi, that goes up to 259... Which is probably why the "HOT" light doesn't come on until above 250.

I do know that the fan, stock, doesn't engage until like 230F(and until recently, I would have backed off the throttle myself if I hit 220F)

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that's sad. She looked CLEAN. But I do agree with what others have said about new rad.... But at the same time I understand why you didn't go for it.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like you built a great truck. Also looks like it was time to upgrade. I pulled my 7000 pound TT with my idi and it was about all I would want to do the way it was set up. Great truck that I love and still have.

Now, onto your statement about a 6.4 being not even mentionable....

A well maintained 6.4 is a fine engine. Problem is it's hard to find one well maintained. Keep motorcraft oilfilters in it and the rocker arms will stay lubed properly. Keep fuel filters changed and the injectors won't hang open causing a cotostrophic failure of a piston. There are lots of them out there running just fine, but when they break, open your wallet!

Btw, if you couldn't tell, my upgraded truck is an 08 6.4. Fully deleted egr and exhaust. And I have the maitanance records to prove filter changes.

Good luck finding an upgrade!
You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a 6.4 as a spare work truck in the past. I agree, not even worth mentioning. Hate to say it, but I would probably rather have a 6.0h no.

dieseltruck

Reaction score
gearedandready, If you'd be interested in an 97 ext. cab Dodge dually 12v 5sp w/US Gear splitter/overdrive, Pack Exhaust Brake, I'm thinking of selling mine. I bought it from a guy that pulled a 5th wheel triple axle RV, I think it was a 30 or 35 footer. I was really looking for a SRW, but this truck was so nice I couldn't pass it up.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/a...719-current-12v-pricing-97-dodge-dually-2.jpg

gearedandready

Reaction score
gearedandready, If you'd be interested in an 97 ext. cab Dodge dually 12v 5sp w/US Gear splitter/overdrive, Pack Exhaust Brake, I'm thinking of selling mine. I bought it from a guy that pulled a 5th wheel triple axle RV, I think it was a 30 or 35 footer. I was really looking for a SRW, but this truck was so nice I couldn't pass it up.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/a...719-current-12v-pricing-97-dodge-dually-2.jpg

That is a nice truck! need more back seat room though.

dieseltruck

Reaction score
That is a nice truck! need more back seat room though.
Yeah, I thought so sense you had that real nice crew cab, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

The guy I bought it from had the same problem so that's why he sold this one and bought an 05 or 06 4x4 CC DRW but he said that they were only built with a 6' bed and wanted one with an 8' bed, So he found a used 8' bed, cut and lengthen frame.