Rust removal video in progress.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Most of you have seen the Rust Removal Video from Trucks that is in our Tec Section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJeXwsl87us

Well I decided to give it a try with my downpipe. With the price of a new one from Banks at $260 plus shipping, I decided to take care of mine and see how long it will last.

Here are some pics and I will be posting how it is working assuming that I am doing it right.:D

You can see the downpipe and how rusty it is, but it is very solid. The second pics is the DP in the tub with water and Arm and Hammer household cleaner, 1 TSP to 1 Pint.
The 3rd pic has the DP submereged, with the battery charger hooked up. Negative to the pipe, positive to the metal bar, as atated in the video.

Well see how it works!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• SV500001.JPG
    SV500001.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 26
  • SV500002.JPG
    SV500002.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 23
  • SV500003.JPG
    SV500003.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 25

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is your wife away??? :) I had a buddy that built a Triump TR7 with a 383 SB chevy with a 600 HP Pro Shot Fogger nitrous system. We decided to powder coat a few parts ourselves, which was real cool. He said he just planned to use the house oven to bake it on, BIG MISTAKE!!! The only thing good that came out of it was I had gone home when she found out!!! She was PO'd to say the least. The whole house smelled of burnt plastic, the neighbors called the fire department, they had to buy a new stove, etc., etc., etc.

So watch out for mommies washer/dryer, don't want you in the same place I am...it sucks!!!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So watch out for mommies washer/dryer, don't want you in the same place I am...it sucks!!!

LOL I hear ya!

That isn't momies Washer and Dryer, they are mine. This is in another room at our shop and we use them to do our rags. Works out pretty well! Just to the right of them is a wash tub, and a parts washer. That is our cleaning room;Sweet

I just checked on it and it is bubbling. Hope it works!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Matthias and I had decided last winter that this would be his project for the science fair this year. Your test will give us an edge as we learn from your success or failure. ;Sweet I guess I better start eyeing up something to derustificate. LOL

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Excellent! Matthias and I had decided last winter that this would be his project for the science fair this year. Your test will give us an edge as we learn from your success or failure. ;Sweet I guess I better start eyeing up something to derustificate. LOL

Mel,
you live in Pennsylvania. Everything should be rusty. If not a short walk around here will net you more rust than you can shake a stick at.

Why you'd want to shake a stick at anything, I don't know.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Here is an update pic It looks to be bubling like it is supposted to. The problem is that the charger is self regualting so I don't know if it is staying at 2 amps, but it is doing something!

Attachments

• Rust bubbles.JPG
    Rust bubbles.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 24

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
It has been cooking for over 24 houts and looks to be loosing the rust. I don't want to pull it out of the water till it has been 48 hours. There looks to be a lot of brown rust elswere in the tub now and the bottom of the pipe looks allmost black.

Here are some updated pics just shot a couple of minutes ago:

Attachments

• DP1.JPG
    DP1.JPG
    409.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DP1 (3).JPG
    DP1 (3).JPG
    435.5 KB · Views: 6
  • dp2.JPG
    dp2.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DP3.JPG
    DP3.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 11

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Shhhh be very quiet Egor... we're cooking down pipes.LOL LOL Waiting to see results:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
Hopefully you dont pull it out with only the part of the down pipe the negative clamp is hooked to!!!LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any discernable smell from this process? It looks tasty. LOL

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
As someone said before - I just need a tub big enough for the whole truck :rotflmao

Looking good! I definitely want to try it on a few parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online