Rust Proofing YES!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am sold. Take the truck apart next winter, prep every piece, two part expoxy prime, then paint the thing. Drill extra wheep holes, and make sure your sealing is good. Right now the truck leaks what like crazy, so maybe that is why its stayed so frosty for so long.

I just have to stay on top of rusty panels. I think as stuff starts to rust I will just purchase a replacement if I can as I can.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 93 , with zero rust, it has been Zeibarted, and i have it resprayed and checked every year, the original rear spring hangers are rust free and look great, Ive seen trucks less than 10yrs with the hangers ready to fall off, i thought i would add this since i havent seen it metioned yet

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The professional body man just said at the end of page 1 that this is a bad choice, because it will work for a while, then fail, and mask rust that will come up, so this is not a solution. Thanks

it is a great solution as long as it is prepped properly, its the same way with paint, if it isnt prepped right then it will start peeling and everything else, dont confuse line x with the roll on stuff you buy at autozone, that stuff doesnt work, line x is much different and much stronger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avo_W9EFO0w

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 93 , with zero rust, it has been Zeibarted, and i have it resprayed and checked every year, the original rear spring hangers are rust free and look great, Ive seen trucks less than 10yrs with the hangers ready to fall off, i thought i would add this since i havent seen it metioned yet

My 1978 F250 4x4 with the "'snowfighter" package was Ziebarted from new and it really held up great. Wish I still had it. You state it well when saying that you have it resprayed every year. Regardless of what you choose, if you are going to drive the truck in the snow and salt on a daily basis, you have to "keep after it". For most of us, that means crawling under it at lest once a year and getting covered in something, whether that be paint, undercoating, tar, bedliner, oil, or whatever.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I've been looking into a lot of body shop forums for what those guys use. There are good and bad responses to all products out there. I've seen some die hard Ziebart comments and some horrible ones. In Canada there is a place called Krown that treats cars with a product. There seems to be quite a few good reviews on Krown, and quite a few US people close to the border that have their cars done. We can't get that in the US, but Carwell sells a product that is supposed to be similar called CP-90.

Clicky

The rustproof product is a chemical that attaches to metal and "creeps" into crevices and hard to reach areas. It is applied with a petroleum based product to aid application which eventually desolves and just leaves the chemical. It lasts for roughly a year and then needs to be reapplied. I believe the canadian military uses a similar product on their stuff and I read some limited literature that states the US uses or at least tested this product. The draw back is it can eat some rubber. I read the military application chart and they liberally apply silicone to all rubber surfaces prior to applying this product. They product literature states that when you get a chip the chemical will "creep" into that area to protect it.

Does anyone have information on this or Krown? The US company is in Ohio. Mel's son's rig seemed to stay in nice shape by the previous owner applying ATF every year.

Thanks, Paul

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into a lot of body shop forums for what those guys use. There are good and bad responses to all products out there. I've seen some die hard Ziebart comments and some horrible ones. In Canada there is a place called Krown that treats cars with a product. There seems to be quite a few good reviews on Krown, and quite a few US people close to the border that have their cars done. We can't get that in the US, but Carwell sells a product that is supposed to be similar called CP-90.

Clicky

The rustproof product is a chemical that attaches to metal and "creeps" into crevices and hard to reach areas. It is applied with a petroleum based product to aid application which eventually desolves and just leaves the chemical. It lasts for roughly a year and then needs to be reapplied. I believe the canadian military uses a similar product on their stuff and I read some limited literature that states the US uses or at least tested this product. The draw back is it can eat some rubber. I read the military application chart and they liberally apply silicone to all rubber surfaces prior to applying this product. They product literature states that when you get a chip the chemical will "creep" into that area to protect it.

Does anyone have information on this or Krown? The US company is in Ohio. Mel's son's rig seemed to stay in nice shape by the previous owner applying ATF every year.

Thanks, Paul
Fluid Film is very similar to Krown and is easy to get in the states. Theres also a product called Noxudol, which is a wax type undercoating that is easy to apply. There are many fluid based undercoatings out there if you do a little research.

But when your vehicle is subject to a DAILY salt bath from Novemeber straight through March, there isnt anything thats going to stop it completely. The problem with any undercoating is that its VIRTUALLY impossible to get at every nook and cranny, and any unprotected area is a chance for rust to gain a foothold. Once it starts, it never stops. Best best is to keep it away from salt PERIOD.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1978 F250 4x4 with the "'snowfighter" package was Ziebarted from new and it really held up great. Wish I still had it. You state it well when saying that you have it resprayed every year. Regardless of what you choose, if you are going to drive the truck in the snow and salt on a daily basis, you have to "keep after it". For most of us, that means crawling under it at lest once a year and getting covered in something, whether that be paint, undercoating, tar, bedliner, oil, or whatever.

and it only cost about 40.00 bucks a year

lilredtdi

Reaction score
it is a great solution as long as it is prepped properly, its the same way with paint, if it isnt prepped right then it will start peeling and everything else, dont confuse line x with the roll on stuff you buy at autozone, that stuff doesnt work, line x is much different and much stronger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avo_W9EFO0w

Yes it is! I do not favor it as it is too expensive. I work at the Pentagon. After 9-11 blast proof windows were installed on all exterior windows and all of the wall behind and between them was coated with Line-X. It is used to "bomb Proof" the wall so in theory the wall will not shatter into small pieces.

Also, FWIW- I'm from Pittsburgh and there your car has rust holes before it is paid off. The old timers, my Dad included used to get a cheap pump up bug sprayer and soak the underside with used motor oil once a year then take it for a ride on a long gravel road. This was wayyyyyy before the galvanizing used on today's cars and it kept them in pretty damn good shape. If you ever visit Pittsburgh be prepared to get lost. Why? Because everyone steals the highway signs to fix rusted out floors, quarter panels etc. You learn quickly how to use tin snips and pop rivits in that state.

Last edited:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know how it is with rust and corrosion, im in Michigan and winter time there is insane amounts of salt were im at, plus there is always moisture because i can walk outside and look at lake erie across the road, i really dont even bother with rust proofing, just kinda deal with it

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doing nothing we know doesn't work.at least get under 'er once a year with an old bucket of paint and brush.it makes a world of difference.
leave that metal bare,then it's all she wrote.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 is 100% rust free and from central Iowa. I don't think it was ziebart but it was undercoated when it was new.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 is 100% rust free and from central Iowa. I don't think it was ziebart but it was undercoated when it was new.

My 98 Grand Cherokee has some ignorant undercoating that was applied at one time, I dont know if its a factory deal or not, but that thing doesnt rust. It is a bit newer then my truck though, but getting to the age where it should be rusting. Also being the snow ***** vehicle you think it would rust, but doesnt. I clean her a lot though, maybe that's the key.