runs better on WVO

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
:dunno As time goes on I have been notiing that my 85 f-250 is running better on wvo than regular diesel anyone else notice this? also do you think tht the 6.9 needs a certain amount of exhaust back pressure for good operation?

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
As far as the wvo.... I have ran up to 75%-80% mix of WMO and #2 diesel in mine, and after a few tanks it does seem to get 2-3 mpg better and has the same if not a little more power.

As far as the backpessure.... I'm not sure. I run a fairly stock setup w/ a cherry bomb in place of the factory ****. It sounds like a gasser from behind and a diesel from the cab up. Kinda ineresting!

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been running WVO for about a year in my truck. The only thing that has changed was it has quieted down dramatically, well and the smell of French Fries when @ traffic lights :D

I have stopped checking my MPG because it doesn't really matter anymore. Of course it never got great mileage to begin w/ those 4:10 gears.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've read a number of articles that say that 99% of the time when people think their diesels are "running better" on WVO it's because their timing is screwed up, that it should be almost as noisy as running on diesel.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i was about to say timing.
the reason its quieter.... timing.
I run 100% biodiesel 99% of the time, and have had to advance my timing to keep the power and economy where it would be on diesel.
If I fill up with diesel it smokes black on nearly any acceleration

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
i was about to say timing.
the reason its quieter.... timing.
I run 100% biodiesel 99% of the time, and have had to advance my timing to keep the power and economy where it would be on diesel.
If I fill up with diesel it smokes black on nearly any acceleration

Interesting, so if I run a heavy mix of wmo in the cold mounths I can advance the timing to help out?? [besides start up that is]?!?!

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rotate top towards pass side = advance. ive noticed it doesnt take much movement to make a difference, i suggest looking for a timing mark on top of pump housing and cover or make a new mark. then use that mark for a reference. then you can always go back to that point.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
my moose pump is about 6mm advanced from the factory scribed mark.
At least thats where it runs the best on biodiesel.

the scribed mark doesn't really mean much, pumps vary a good bit, and obviously retard as they get older more worn.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drew maybe that explains why my fuel mileage continues to be somewhat disappointing even after fixing my dragging brake caliper and switching to the manual tranny. I'm going to check my timing when I get the chance, gotta try to get a free hour here or there!