running ruff with smoke

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my way home the truck started to run extremly ruff and it begain to smoke i dont know if this is because its getting could or not? well it idles horribly but if you give it some throttle it will clear up but run very ruff in a few seconds. I cracked open all of the injector lines and the all seemed to change the sound of the motor. i pulled the filter and dumped the contense no water or anything just clean diesel fuel. i put the old filter back on cause i cant get a new one till tomarra and it still runs very ruff? what could this be now

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Could it be the lift pump dying on you? I mean if it were to go, it wouldnt supply enough fuel, and air would get into the system, which is basically what you are describing. Then if you rev it the air in the lines will clear up for a couple of seconds until the IP runs out of fuel and starts pushing air again because the lift pump isnt supplying enough. Just a thought.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be i just ran it and at idle to 1500 rpms it feels like the motor is going to jump out. it starts to clear up above 1500r's and at 2000 it pers like a kitten.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
you have air in the system. check all problem areas, caps return lines, etc...and bleed air out of the filter.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i tested the fuel pump and its good. i monkeyed with the timing and it doesnt change anything i still have a horrible idle and with smoke. i am thinking injectors now but im not sure any one have any ideas

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
yep, sure could be. if its getting enough fuel to stay running, but rough, then the dead holes would be pouring air in the exhaust and thats where your getting your smoke from, and of course the idling rough would be from dead holes.

if you are able to part from the truck for a little while, have them pop tested and get rebuilts. i say rebuilts because i dont know how long ago the injector pump was rebuilt, if ever. but if its never been done, maybe its time for both. good luck

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Your symptoms sound a lot more like air leaks than bad injectors. I'd spend the $40 on a return line kit before dumping a bunch of cash on injectors or a new IP.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found my problem nothing fuel related it was a valve problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online