running light modification

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having burnt the running lights part of the head light switch twice, I decided it was time to correct the problem and take the load off the switch.

Looking at the head light switch, the tan /white stripe wire is the power from fuse #4. Tap into this wire for power to to terminal #30 on the relay.

The dark brown wire next to the tan /white goes to the running lights, cut this wire. The switch side will go to #86 on the relay, to activate the relay when the head light switch is turned on. The brown wire going to the lights will connect to #87 on the relay.

Connect a ground wire to #85 on the relay.

The second picture shows a #8 bolt that is holding the relay next to the fuse box. Once painted the screw should not be noticable.

I purchased the Bosh relay with the plug from Parts Express. $2 for the relay and $1.50 for the plug.
If you use this plug, insulate or remove the red lead to #87a. This wire will have power when the light switch is turned off.

Attachments

• Relay 1.jpg
    Relay 1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Relay 2.jpg
    Relay 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 11
  • relay 3.gif
    relay 3.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Bosch relay.jpg
    Bosch relay.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been there done that on both of my trucks.ive been telling people to do this for 3 years.ive never seen the headlight wires burn just the running/dash ligh wires.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awesome!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is a definate to go on the to-do list!! I've done the headlight mod and I'm sure that helped, this would just round it out and hopefully no more melted plugs! I gotta first get a new plug to go to the switch though. My plug has just about had it...all melted and such! Then maybe I'll be able to get my interior light and bed light to work with the switch! Great mod - thanks for sharing! ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can get the wires and relay all done just connect on from summit racing, I got it while painting my truck and it work good light is brigther (if possible with the diamond headlight's) and the setup is supossed to take the load from the switch. sorry dont have the part # unless you are really interested right now I can't look for it, but it is there :drunk: .

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JPR,

Thanks for the tips in this post. I just ordered relays and plugs from Parts Express due to your advice. I had tried to find some relays at Kragen and Autozone last week, but they don't carry them. It would be great if you could convert this post into a tech article so it doesn't get lost in some "old post" archive somewhere. Mel's the man for submission. Thanks again!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
ummm... nah - on second thought, i'll just leave that one alone.
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

You sick, sick man...I guess that means you fit in just fine here! ;Sweet

I second Monte's statement, though...this would make a great tech article IMHO. It's also nice to finally find a supplier for the relays! I just need to find someone who makes a relay "fuse block" sort of setup, since I can actually think of quite a few things I want relays for (headlights, running lights, trailer plug {long story there}, and I'm sure I could think up some more...so that's at least 8 relays right there; be nice to be able to install them cleanly)..

:thanks: :cool

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well there was a certain someone (caugh... caugh... ) that had promised to do that very article for me, HOWEVER it would appear that it has not been done yet, SOOoooo.... if somebody else wants to package up that info in a Word doc or web page and send it to me, I'll make sure it gets added to the library. It definitiely is a must-do mod. Now as for the submission comment, just don't say things like that around my wife. LOL

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine years ago, got a "kit" from my local O'Reilly's that is designed for fog lites cost about $10. The kit comes with the relay - connector - switch, all you need is the relay and connector. So if you do not want to wait for mail delivery this is an alternative. (will find the part # if needed)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online