running cold

alopez001

Reaction score
Hello all u beautiful idi people. I have a1986 Ford f350 with a 7.3 and 5 speed out of a1990 f350 3 weeks ago it started running cold so I changed the t-stat put in a stant no luck still running cold so i got another one and even got a gates brand and yes a motocraft and now I have a international brand in it. New water pump and fan clutch flushed the system 2 or three times its about 40 degrees out and I took out on the interstate and the only way I could get it up to 180 is running 80 mph. I do have a after market gauge in it. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

alopez001

Reaction score
I have a laser temp gun and i shoot the Thermocouple and it is within 5 degrees of what the gauge is reading. Last year during the polar vortex I had no problems at all.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thermostat alone should keep it above 180. It shouldn't fully open until 192.

I see you have a good OE international thermostat now, so,
I would seriously be suspicious of the accuracy of your gauge first. I have one of those infrared thermometers that I have checked the temperature of the top core in my radiator with very good accuracy compared to my autometer gauge.

Also, where do you have the temperature probe for your aftermarket gauge?

alopez001

Reaction score
The coupler is just above the water pump on the drivers side of the block I put it then two years ago when I put the motor in.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your running cold and everything is set up correct you can block part or most of your radiator with something. A couple of my friends that are truckers use cardboard or a mud flap to block there radiators when they are driving in 0 degree weather.

Last edited:

Deutz866

Reaction score
Yeah if you're gonna use a winter front just make sure you dont forget about it lol. The 466, MaxxForce, and almost every other International engine tends to run cold from what I've seen.

alopez001

Reaction score
The coupler is just above the water pump on the drivers side of the block I put it then two years ago when I put the motor in.

I have covered about 80% of the radiator with no luck. All the t-stats have been 195.I drive this truck 3 to 4 Times a weak hauling a car trailer that weights in @2200 empty and 3 weeks ago I had a 5700 lbs SUV on it and at 65 mph it still wouldnt get up above 180 and the the outside temp was in the hi 30s to low 40s

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe try the 203/205 Stat.
Heck turn your fuel up. Just kidding, unless you have a pyro.
Isn't really making any sense.
When did the gauge go in? And when did the running cold start?

Also, if I'm thinking right, you put the gauge sender in the hole for the factory gauge? Might try the over temp sensor hole or even in one of the plugs in the side of the head above the exhaust manifold. I don't think it would show that much difference though.
One other thing, possibly the new fan clutch is staying locked?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have heat from the heater? If you do, then I would suspect your other methods of measuring the temp. Do you have the factory temp gauge and does it move? If it works, were does it run at(what letter in the word "normal"). I could kick the Ford engineer who came up with those stupid gauges.

alopez001

Reaction score
I have turned up the pump just a little bit and the only t-stat temp I could find is the 190....... I do have heat from the heater but not that super hot Ford heat that theses older trucks are known for the factory temp gauge didn't work when i bought the truck 4 years ago that is why I put a aftermarket one in.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for a drive, when you pull over, use your temp gun to check the temp of the top core of the radiator. Or the top radiator hose. Note that compared to what your gauge says.

Seems like you have a lot of good parts. I have done a very similar cooling system overhaul on mine. I see 185 all the time unless I am towing, and it goes up to 205 or so.

Wish I had more ideas....

alopez001

Reaction score
I went for a drive last night and the upper tank was 175 and the lower just above the drain valve was only 57 that is after running up and down the interstate for 5 miles or so at 70 plus standing on it hard and rolling coal out the stacks. Thanks for your help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So you posted the thermostats were 195 or 190 degree stats. Our engines use only the 192 degree thermostat so I'm not sure what you have been sold. My feelings are you got sold the wrong ones. Can you post the box part numbers? As for the original thermostat thats the 192 degree one it begins to open at 192 degrees and is fully open at 212 degrees. Might look at the fan clutch. It might be going bad and is locked up. Usually they free wheel when they fail. If you see any dirt on the thermostatic spring or around the seal then that clutch is failing.