runaway engine

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well everything went ok on the startup, it ran fine and didnt have to zip lock it to death lol. boy you can realy tell the difference now when you start it up cold. now thats one of the hundred more things that i dont have to fix now. thanks everybody for the help it was greatly appreciated.

KennyC

Reaction score
I am new to this but I have worked on marine diesels for years from Perkins and Detroits to a 398 Cat. We were instructed to use CO2 or stuff the air cleaner with rags in case the overspeed trips failed . There was always a big CO2 extinguisher hanging close by somewhere in the enginerooms.
Kenny

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
A buddy of mine used to work in a Detroit shop. It was shop policy to have a 'kill board' on each workbench. Evidently someone took the one off his bench and forgot where it belonged.
He told me when it went full rack, he reached for the board, only to find it gone. The next closest thing was a service manual. The motor ate the back cover, and about 40 pages, before it choked out.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a gallon size ziploc bag. Leave it empty and just flat. Take the air cleaner off. There should be a metal mesh over the intake manifold hole. If it starts to run drop that bag over the hole. I was shocked out of my gord to see how fast it brings that big IDI to a halt. I do not suggest ANYTHING in the bag as long as that metal screen is still in the intake. No chance for the bag to not suck down flat if it is empty. I did the same thing you had to do and so I was worried too. It is hard to screw up though.

Calvin

My thinking on putting the towel in the bag was to make it thick & soft enough to completely conform to the uneaven surface of the intake throat and seal instantly, and to make sure some part of it is tough enough that the suction can't suck holes through it. Even if it did suck holes through the bottom layer of plastic (kind of like "popping" gum) it wouldn be able to suck holes through the towel and the top layer of plastic.

Seems to me like the problem using a board would be that big honkin' nut in the middle of the throat that secures the screen. I'd think that nut would keep something hard & flat - like a board - from sitting down flat enough on the throat to choke it off completely.

Anyway, that was the thought process behind my suggestion - FWIW.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
My thinking on putting the towel in the bag was to make it thick & soft enough to completely conform to the uneaven surface of the intake throat and seal instantly, and to make sure some part of it is tough enough that the suction can't suck holes through it. Even if it did suck holes through the bottom layer of plastic (kind of like "popping" gum) it wouldn be able to suck holes through the towel and the top layer of plastic.

Seems to me like the problem using a board would be that big honkin' nut in the middle of the throat that secures the screen. I'd think that nut would keep something hard & flat - like a board - from sitting down flat enough on the throat to choke it off completely.

Anyway, that was the thought process behind my suggestion - FWIW.

That is a good point and the engine I was shutting down was not in runaway so maybe the extra rag would be a good thing for durability.

Calvin

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when mine ranaway, I tried to stuff a big **** beach towel in there, it did throttle the motor which may be why it didn't break, kept the RPMs to within governed limits or close probably, I cut the fuel line and that's how it finally choked out. I think it was the good Lord smiling on me that really saved me though, that thing ran for at least 5 minutes like that, I thought I'd be picking up pieces of it or replacing it within the year. And maybe it does take a dummy like me to bend the throttle linkage/governor cover, but the things are not idiot proof, that's for sure. Most shops don't want you this far in an IP but for us DIY guys its a necessity sometimes. I would only do it again if I absolutely had to.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no cheapers the ziplock bag was a good idea along with all the other ideas. actualy i had one of those vinyl bags the banks give you to put your money and documents in. it has a zipper and i folded up a drying towel and put in the inside. i didnt feel to comfortable with taking the screen off incase something got sucked down. i know that would have been the least of my worries if it would have ranaway lol. atleast it would have choked it down enough to where i could have killed the fuel to it and finished it off.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont rremember if i thanked everyone for there input on this, and if i didnt thanks to all this is a great site.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no cheapers the ziplock bag was a good idea along with all the other ideas. actualy i had one of those vinyl bags the banks give you to put your money and documents in. it has a zipper and i folded up a drying towel and put in the inside. i didnt feel to comfortable with taking the screen off incase something got sucked down. i know that would have been the least of my worries if it would have ranaway lol. atleast it would have choked it down enough to where i could have killed the fuel to it and finished it off.

Yeah, I agree about the screen - that's why I mentioned making sure it was in place. If the screen wasn't there - meaning the big nut that secures it was off too - that is when I would lean towards the idea of the board. Without a screen in place I could see it easily suching the bag, rag and all, right into the intake - possibly farther than would be good for it.

In that case, with nothing to keep it from lying flat on the intake throat, the board would be my first choice.

Speaking of which: anybody know where I could get one of those screens & the nut to secure it? My truck with the turbo doesn't have one on it, and that makes me a little uncomfortable. I know that to get to the intake opening something would have to get past both the filter AND the turbo, but the idea of something like a small fragment of a turbine wheel breaking off and getting sucked into the intake makes me a little nervous.....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree about the screen - that's why I mentioned making sure it was in place. If the screen wasn't there - meaning the big nut that secures it was off too - that is when I would lean towards the idea of the board. Without a screen in place I could see it easily suching the bag, rag and all, right into the intake - possibly farther than would be good for it.

In that case, with nothing to keep it from lying flat on the intake throat, the board would be my first choice.

Speaking of which: anybody know where I could get one of those screens & the nut to secure it? My truck with the turbo doesn't have one on it, and that makes me a little uncomfortable. I know that to get to the intake opening something would have to get past both the filter AND the turbo, but the idea of something like a small fragment of a turbine wheel breaking off and getting sucked into the intake makes me a little nervous.....

I would just go to a wrecking yard and pull the intake off of a N/A motor and take it out, shouldnt cost you more than $5. When my turbo let go on me, my screen kept the bigger peices from going through, I'm sure I would've had a problem if the pieces I found on top of that screen went through the motor. But then again, I'm sure it let some through, and the truck still runs good.

2manydsls

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Grease Fire. My father rebuilt lots of IP's and he told me when replacing the top cover to always listen for the click in the IP when turning on the ignition. Or if by yourself, turn on the ign. and remove and install the heavy wire on the IP. No click BAD, do not start.
Ross