royal purple 15/40

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wondering how you guys felt about royal purple and if anyone here uses it?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I ran it for years in my roadrace bike and it made the engine innards look better than new. Might have to try it in the diesel.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know a guy with a cummins that runs it has had it in 60k and says it still feels and smells like oil hasnt changed it so gotta be decent

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Supposed to be decent stuff, but you need to run a couple of treatments of Auto Rx through the thing before you chnage it over to clean it out and get the seals ready or you are begging for problems, unless you just rebuilt your engine.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's my biggest question. How much are you buying it for. i really want a 15w-40 synthetic, but amsoil is the only thing i can find here, and i just can't justify it. I mean i am not foing to let my engine go more than 6k without a change. The Delvac i have been using is cheap and seems to be good stuff, but a synth would be better for cold starts. . . :/

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
O.K. I gotta ask. I know their might be varied oppinions, but how to the synthetics compare to each other? Royal Purple/Amsoil/Mobile(do they make 15/40)ect.. I run Amsoil right now - very happy. I didn't get a chance to run the auto RX through it last time but will be doing before my next change.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I'm slightly weary of putting synthetics in an older engine these days. I got a smoking deal on 5 quarts of royal purple and a wix filter for my 22re in the crawler. The first snow run I took it on I spun a rod bearing from oil starvation.

Pulled it apart for a rebuild and found the pickup screen was completely covered in carbon chunks and various garbage. But on the bright side the inside of the engine was fawking spotless.. LOL The engine had 127k on it btw.

The new engine doesn't even have 160 miles on it in the last couple years so when the oil change is done on it I'll be using mobile1 and another wix filter. :D

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm slightly weary of putting synthetics in an older engine these days. I got a smoking deal on 5 quarts of royal purple and a wix filter for my 22re in the crawler. The first snow run I took it on I spun a rod bearing from oil starvation.

Pulled it apart for a rebuild and found the pickup screen was completely covered in carbon chunks and various garbage. But on the bright side the inside of the engine was fawking spotless.. LOL The engine had 127k on it btw.

The new engine doesn't even have 160 miles on it in the last couple years so when the oil change is done on it I'll be using mobile1 and another wix filter. :D

that cheap oil killed the engine, at least it was cheap oil, it was worth it :rotflmao

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. I gotta ask. I know their might be varied oppinions, but how to the synthetics compare to each other? Royal Purple/Amsoil/Mobile(do they make 15/40)ect.. I run Amsoil right now - very happy. I didn't get a chance to run the auto RX through it last time but will be doing before my next change.

use Amsoil new engine/trans flush instead, if you think you really need to, generally many owners keep up on oil change intervals and many engines are relativly clean enough to switch over to a sinthetic
Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's my biggest question. How much are you buying it for. i really want a 15w-40 synthetic, but amsoil is the only thing i can find here, and i just can't justify it. I mean i am not foing to let my engine go more than 6k without a change. The Delvac i have been using is cheap and seems to be good stuff, but a synth would be better for cold starts. . . :/

Use the AMSOIL it is cheaper than DELVAC.

I have many vehicles all using AMSOIL and I dont change any oil more than I have to.
here is one I have only changed the oil once in 8 years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lh_QCzTf7U

If you cant go longer than 6,000 miles on a AMSOIL oil change :rotflmao simply a ostrich with its head in the sand...

Attachments

• ostrich_head_sand.jpg
    ostrich_head_sand.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 9

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
that cheap oil killed the engine, at least it was cheap oil, it was worth it :rotflmao

A buck a quart and three for the filter ended up costing me just under $600. But on the bright side the money I spent was for a cam new clutch, gasket kit and block machine work. The brand new head and rebuild kit were freebies... I get lots of great hook ups, some obviously better than others. LOL

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buck a quart and three for the filter ended up costing me just under $600. But on the bright side the money I spent was for a cam new clutch, gasket kit and block machine work. The brand new head and rebuild kit were freebies... I get lots of great hook ups, some obviously better than others. LOL

some kid told me last night at the races he got a 350Z and he has a $5000 twin turbo setup that his mechanic will install for $600 cookoo

what kind of engine you buy all that stuff for $600? SHEESH thats CHEAP!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

6k on Amsoil would be less than half life even for severe service ( i.e. dump truck spending most of it's time on dirt roads), you would be pouring money down the drain.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
use Amsoil new engine/trans flush instead, if you think you really need to, generally many owners keep up on oil change intervals and many engines are relativly clean enough to switch over to a sinthetic
Javier

I've been using and selling Amsoil for over 25 years and after MUCH experience, I won't use their fast flush before a switchover anymore. I now use the Auto Rx before switching any older engine and have been for a number of years now. I have found a lot of peace of mind in it.