Rough starts at higher elevation

libsys

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was having some trouble with cold starts that I believe was due to air intrusion. I got that all buttoned up (new return lines, olives, rubber hose on lift pump, etc.), and now at home (about 700ft elevation) it starts great and idles smooth right away with just at hint of smoke until it warms up. Last week I was on a camping trip at around 5000ft, and the the cold starts were horrible. It would fire right up, but lots of smoke (grayish) and stumbling and sputtering for a couple of minutes. The day after I got home, it started up like a champ again. Cold starts have always been a little worse at higher elevations, but never like this. Any thoughts?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stumbling and sputtering sounds a lot like air intrusion still.
Did you try adding a little throttle with your foot to even it out? I think that would help a lot. Shouldn't be too bad once it caught and is running, I would think. I would think the altitude would mostly affect it catching in the first place but I could be wrong.

I guess see if it keeps firing up like a champ at 700' and if so it must be the elevation, though it sounds like air to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7