Rough Starting in Warm Weather

VincentVega

Reaction score
Hey guys, any help would be appreciated. My truck was having this problem when I first got it over the summer. Assumed it was the crap diesel fuel still in the tank because it went away after the next fill up. However, it has come back just within the last week or so.

My truck has been super hard starting lately, but it's exactly the opposite of how it should be. When it was really cold outside (20 or less), I'd cycle the glow plugs twice (for a total of about 12 seconds or so) and it would fire up no sweat. Then it started warming up to around 50 or so and its been a pig to start. I'll get about 8 seconds or so on the glow plugs, it'll spin for a minute, fire, then stumble all over itself and die out. After it dies it about two or three times spinning the motor for 20 to 30 seconds then letting it sit for a second and doing it again. Once it fires the second time it revs up really high (~1500) then has a very inconsistent idle bouncing around inside the window of about 700 to 1000 rpm for a few seconds and then slows eases away and runs great afterwards.

I've recently replaced the glow plugs, batteries, starter, alternator, and battery cables. There's no lack of power because the starter spins the motor hard. Injectors and IP have unknown mileage. EGT's are totally normal [300-400 in town and up to 600 on the highway when keeping up with traffic]. Mileage has been a little low lately but I think that's because I only drive about 12 miles or so to work each morning and then shut it down. Glow plug controller doesn't stay on for very long by itself so I have to cycle it a few times on a genuine cold start. I figured the above may be pertinent information to solving this issue.

A buddy of mine and I are going to test fuel pressure coming off the lift pump tomorrow so I'll come back with an update on that. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

~Pete

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pete, sounds like your injection pump is done for, when the pump becomes heat soaked the tolerances open up and you have the hard starting issue you speak of. Try pouring some water on the pump when it doesnt want to start while hot.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to IDI's but this sounds like a combination of malfunctioning glow plugs and air getting into the fuel system causing the start then die.

Test your glow plugs and make sure all eight are still good. Hopefully they are the trusty Motorcraft ZD-9, all others have a reputation for premature failure and swelling/sticking in the bore. At 20F you should have at least 12 seconds on one glow plug cycle. Controller could be going bad too.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pete, sounds like your injection pump is done for, when the pump becomes heat soaked the tolerances open up and you have the hard starting issue you speak of. Try pouring some water on the pump when it doesnt want to start while hot.

But he says it won't start when it's 50 outside. I assumed that was a cold engine. Agree that if it's a hot-engine start problem to look at the IP...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, start, stumble, die, crank crank crank, stumble, stumble, rev.... that's air..........

Crank crank crank crank crank, start, stumble, idle normal....... that's bad plugs........

VincentVega

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I figured my controller might be getting tired because the WTS light doesn't stay on very long by itself. Also, when I first got the truck the first fix was a new relief line kit for all the injectors so all of that is still good. When I replaced the glow plugs I made sure they were Motorcraft.

At DrCharles, yes, that's a rough start at 50 with a cold engine. It'll start fine at anything above 120 or so (coolant temp).

On the air intrusion thing, I though you had a consistently rough idle with that, not something that went away like if it were malfunctioning plugs.

Should I try and upload a video of a cold start so you guys can get a better idea of what's happening?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On the air intrusion thing, I though you had a consistently rough idle with that, not something that went away like if it were malfunctioning plugs.

Should I try and upload a video of a cold start so you guys can get a better idea of what's happening?

Rough idle from air is if you are pulling in air in when the truck is running. The start stumble die, is air intrusion while it's NOT running, from something like a leaking return cap, or the fuel heater, allowing the fuel to drain out of the system. Once it's running and you don't an air leak in the supply side, it primes the system and will run fine.

A video could help

VincentVega

Reaction score
Sorry about the crazy late reply, but I dropped in a new fuel pump and the problem cleared right up. I meant to get back sooner but life and school have been hitting hard lately so I haven't had a chance to. Thank you guys for all the help. Now time to tackle the next problem...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the crazy late reply, but I dropped in a new fuel pump and the problem cleared right up. I meant to get back sooner but life and school have been hitting hard lately so I haven't had a chance to. Thank you guys for all the help. Now time to tackle the next problem...
So you changed the injection pump or the lift pump?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle