Rough shutoff

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here we go: 7.3 n/a, runs well... has a really rough shutoff. Doesn't smoothly stop, more of a jerk stop.

Any ideas?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here we go: 7.3 n/a, runs well... has a really rough shutoff. Doesn't smoothly stop, more of a jerk stop.

Any ideas?

That's normal man, it's a real high compression engine after all, over twice more than most gassers actually. But if you think yours is abrupt you really oughta try it my way - not only does mine idle at 800 rpms all the time, but that B17 propeller that is the engine fan is also bolted solid to the water pump - when that thing stops it shakes the whole truck hardcore, off the jackstands once even :eek: lol

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry fellas, getting it all filled out... it is a 5spd.

Just wanted to confirm that I shouldn't be concerned; this is my first diesel.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're asking for the trans cause when a ZF5 has a SMF conversion they can make all sorts or racket. The IDI is a rough-stopping engine tho, regardless of the transmission behind it...

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
When shut down it should stop fast, and sometimes turn backwards... I'm assuming you have the V belt setup, my serpentine belt setup is very annoying when shut down, it chirps the belt. But yes as others have said, nothing to worry about.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
If you have a bad DMF it can also make a racket when you shut it down. I also suffer from the chirping belt shut down syndrome as well.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Mine shakes the whole truck when I shut it down, hell, it shakes the whole truck while it's running too!

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
21 or 21.5 to 1 tends to stop these engines pretty quick. Mine rocks the truck the instant the key is turned.:eek:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had this question back along last year when i first got my idi.
i explained while asking,that it shut down like when the older(pre ob1/2) gas engines timing was off with the shake you describe.
was told it was normal.
after a couple months i didn't notice it doing this anymore.
i recently got a timing meter for my diesel,and advanced the timing 2.5 degree's.
my engine now has the "improper gas timing shutdown" to it again with correct idi diesel timing.
i thought this was very interesting.just thought id share my new found experience with the idi and add to the bucket of confirmations of "all systems go".:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online