Rotor change Q's

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I am changing my rotors today and may have a few questions. I have one right now actually. Do you need a press to press out the studs or will a hammer and wood work?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
A hammer will work. Make sure you get them seated fully when you put them back. It's a good idea to torque lugs a couple of times after you drive it so to make sure you have them seated correctly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Without a press you can use a hammer to get them out but try to make up a shim under the stud and use the lug nut to pull them deeply into the rotors. You can't imagine the pressure we can make on a screw thread. As posted, tightening them up in a few miles will save the wheels if any are loose. Once a wheel is loose and wears the rim its usually a ruined rim.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I use a 4 lb matter to remove and then press them in. They come out easily enough but it takes a lot of force to get them fully seated. Would not advise pulling them in with the nuts, can mess up the threads.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I use a 4 lb matter to remove and then press them in. They come out easily enough but it takes a lot of force to get them fully seated. Would not advise pulling them in with the nuts, can mess up the threads.

Thanks for the advice on putting them back in. I wish I had a press. Perhaps a shop could do it for a small fee.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an air hammer. Takes less than a minute. Easy peasy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7