Rods and wrist pins?? 7.3L IDI to PSD

jesshwarren

Reaction score
I just bought a set of forged 7.3L PSD rods. I was wondering what pistons are used in the IDI's to run with these rods. I think the IDI wrist pins are smaller. I know ken over at DPS says to use the psd rods. Just not sure what piston to use.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
PSD rods will not fit in the IDI motor. The bottom end rod width is .130 thousands too wide. Grinding it to fit wont leave enough meat around the larger rod bolts. Now, that said here is the size differances. The wrist pin is 33mm. the same size on both idi and psd motors if you talking about the turbo idi rods. The non turbo idi rods pin size is 30 mm and the turbo idi and the psd are 33 mm. The big end of the rods are the same bearing size but like I said they are too wide by .130 thousands. That makes the crank journel about .260 thousands too narrow on the idi crank. Thats just a little more than 1/4 inch. I found this out when I bought a set of forged psd rods for $100.00 on Ebay. They were part number F4TZ-6200-BRM and freshly remanufactured by Ford. I actually got 9 rods. Kinda neat. What you are going to need is the turbo idi rods from Ford. The part number is F4TZ-6V200-AARM. I bought mine from Peck Road Truck Sales in Whittier Ca. They cost about $48.00 with a core of about $27.00. When I took dilievery of the set of 8 I took them to work and started weighing them on a gram scale for balancing when I found one box had a psd rod wrapped up in it that needed rebuilding. You can't trust anyone these days. They were the cheapest around my neck of the woods by far. Sometimes Ebay has a set up for bids and I usually buy them for peanuts. I have 3 sets because soon someday these will not be available anywhere so I buy them when I can. The last set was from a member in Moriorty New Mexico for $75.00 but I missed that one. Nobody bid on them. Just the core value alone is just over $200.00. I hope this helps you decide what you need to do. IDI pistons are way differant from the psd pistons. They are the same size but the tops are way too differant to work. Both motors are the same bore size. Buy a set of Mahle turbo idi pistons with the coating on the top or get them plane topped and have Ken apply a creamic coating. That way they will reflect most of the heat into the exhaust path so the turbo will run more efficiently.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I think Ken also told me that the IDI stock rods are stronger than the PSD stock rods.He said there was more meat at the spot where PSD rods break.....Just another point on the board for old school!!!!cheaper,Stronger,easier.......

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
icanfixall said:
The last set was from a member in Moriorty New Mexico for $75.00 but I missed that one. Nobody bid on them. Just the core value alone is just over $200.00.

How long ago was that and do you remember the name of the person? I live in Moriarty, New Mexico. It would be nice to know someone around here that has parts available.

Tom