Rodney Red On Order & Waiting.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... Its been several days after I ordered my custom aluminum radiater from Rodney Red...... I so wish I had it now and installed. Its one of those modifications that you just know is going to be so neat. I'll be able to turn up the Moose pump maybe back really near what it was when I first installed it. I'll be keeping my custom built 5 row for a while just to see how things work out. Later this year I will be driving to Sackt. Canada for a horse show so that will be the real test of everything I have done so far. We wont be driving dtraight thru this time. Usually we do it in 34 hours of driving without a stop. Thats really tuff on the wife and I. Now, 1800 miles at $5.00 per gallon with us getting hopefully 15 mpg is.... Way friggen too much.... Damn oil companys gouging the hell out of us...-cuss :moon: :cry: :bs

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Are you going to bit the bullet and fill that thing with Evans?
It runs about $300 to do it, but it's cheap insurance. with that combination absoloutely no worries, even if a thermostat sticks on you, you can peg the needle and it's not going to damage the engine ( been there with one of my cars, underhood temps so high it melted the clips off the air filter box and fried a few computer sensors, but no engine damage . Nothing that couldn't be fixed in the motel parking lot in 15 minutes once the parts got expressed in ...had that been the green stuff it would have been a head job at interstate prices...and one seriously screwed vacation). I do like running zero pressure cooling systems ;Sweet

Somewhere around here I have a link someone sent me to a site where they have a deal of something like $11 shipping on the stuff, unlimited amount.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
what is this evans stuff exactly

The holy grail of coolant. Evan's waterless coolant you run it straight, with no water. It requires no SCA's, cavitation is not an issue with this stuff, it has a non pressurized boiling point of around 375 deg f ( no boiling= no hot spots= no warping metal or blown head gaskets= no damage , you just get hot, and cool back down) No water so annual changes are no needed.
It's what is run in most professional class race cars.

IT only has 2 drawbacks, it's a pain to install. you have to remove,and displace all water from the system , which means wasting a little of the stuff displacing water from the heater core and the low spots in the block and rad below drain points, and the cost, at near $30 a gallon :eek: but as I have said, many times, it's cheap insurance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Evans was my original thought on a completely new and dry system when I did my second rebuild but... My thoughts of needing it out on the road if something lets go keeps me from using it. I understand NASCAR uses it but they run 35 lbs of pressure on the system. This pressure keeps it imbeded into every nook the coolant passages have in the castings. I wouldn't think to run it that high but maybe 13 to 15 lbs. Rodney told me to run good grade coolant and 15 lbs with the aluminum radiater.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I looked up the dealers near me. One is 2 miles away. Another is 15 miles and another is 34 miles. Then it gets farther but gees.. They are everywhere around here. Even some of the smaller airports carry it. If I buy 6 gallons of it the cost is only 195.00. I paid around 150.00 for the Fleatcharge I'm running now with distilled water.....Hmmm.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The version of the Evans that they run in the nascar stuff is slightly different than the stuff that you run in street vehicles. The strictly racing stuff( NPG ) requires some modifications to the engine, it's a slightly different animal, the street stuff ( NPG+ )has most of the same properties without having to go through all the modifications
The racing stuff requires high flow thermostats, high volume water pumps, etc ad nauseam.

About the only thing they reccomend doing with the + is taking a dab of silicone and plugging the weep hole on the water pump. Can't remember the reason. Think it had something to do with it gathering air at that point on non pressurized systems, whatever, takes ten seconds to do.

The nice thing about mail order is you can always have the stuff sent to you on the road, and , if you call and talk to the manager ,you can have stuff sent ahead to a truck stop if needed, or to a motel that you'll be staying at.

The nice thing about a zero pressure system is even when something cuts loose, it's not as bad . When I had the freeze plug walk out of the rear of the block, we were a couple of hundred miles from home on vacation and I discovered it after a day of fun at an amusement park ( lovely trail of liquid under the truck ) but with zero pressure I was able to top it off, drive to a parts store, dump sealer in it, fill it the rest of the way ( in an emergency the stuff is compatible with the Low Tox antifreeze run straight in with it, so I grabbed every jug I could get my hands on, you don't have as high a boiling point, but with my radiator, no problem ) hooked back up to the 5er ( all 10k pounds worth ) and dragged it back over the Ozarks and safely home.
Once everything was unhooked, and cooled down, I decided to have some fun with it and put a pressure cap on it , 7 lb to see how long it would last. Soon as it got up to temp, that rear freeze plug shot out.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i have my rodney red on order for about a week now for the scout, can't wait to see it!

so what coolant should i run...that evens stuff really worth it? should i add a coolant filter too for any crud that may accumilate? :confused:

-Jon

p.s. i just read up on that evans...sounds lke some pretty good stuff, i'll have to call them to see local dealers....

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i have my rodney red on order for about a week now for the scout, can't wait to see it!

so what coolant should i run...that evens stuff really worth it? should i add a coolant filter too for any crud that may accumilate? :confused:

-Jon

Evan's is great stuff. Coolant filters are always a good idea to catch the little bits of casting particles that find their way loose over time, but if you run one with evans, get the filter elements that do not come pre charged with SCAs.They aren't needed with Evans, If running Green stuff, you can run the filter elements that come pre charged.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey gary If that 5 row comes up for sale I want it, I am still fighting heat issues even with the shorter intercooler in it. grrrr
On the happy side the boost comes up a lot quicker at low speed and less smoke.