Rockerarm To Valve Keeper???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is a technical question for those that have done valve jobs on the idi heads. What kind of clearance should I see between the rockerarm and the valve spring keeper? I have some that are "close" and I know missing by any amount is still a miss but I need to know now before I continue with the buildup. Thanks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no specs for that. Are the valves about the same stem height? Rocker clearance will increase with lift so if it isnt touching it should be fine, but us picky types cant have fine, we strive for perfection;Sweet

We really need to design a roller rocker setup for these, would need taller valve covers tho,cast spacers maybe???:dunno

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
There is an installed height on just about all Ford valves. It used a dial indicator and you slid it over the valve and then ground the rocker arm end of the valve to clearance. We had a machine spec book though and I don't have access to it these days, but the length of the valve had to be within .004 of this length (book gave a min/max range). Valve ends MUST be ground square as well and every valve facing machine I have used (about 5 different brands and several different models in each brand - Sunnon, Sioux, etc.) was setup to do the grinding.

on edit - HERE is something similar to the tool - second page, bottom of the page on the left - called "Valve Stem Height Gauge Kit".

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SLE I didnt go into all that because that should have been done properly at the machine shop, unless they really ground off the valve butt the rocker should clear the retainer.
I forget some shops just slam and go.-cuss

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online