Rocker Arm Pushrods....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How do we know which end of a pushrod is the up end? I realize on a new pushrod the copper colored end goes into the rocker but on a used set that doesn't have the copper colored end is my question. l once thought there was a small dimple in the tube just under the top hardened ball but on my new sets I see no indication of a dimple. Just the copper colored ball.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was acceptable to use a used set. :dunno

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
No laser printed dot on em Gary? Sometimes I've seen em come that way.:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Seawa;l.. It matters because the ball that works the rocker end is hardened. The other end isn't. They wont last too long if they are improperly installed. Copper ball up always...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was acceptable to use a used set. :dunno
I would NEVER use someones 'used' pushrods or rockers!
I would however use 'used' and excellent condition 'full trunnion' and roller-end rockers like on a SBC or BBC.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I still have not seen any information on which end is the hard end after the copper color has worn off. Now I have seen some with a laser dot or it could have been a punch mark too.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've reused several sets in both of my rigs and never had any issues. No sign of abnormal wear that I've been able to see. Now, we're only talking 50-75k miles, but still, no sign of any issues. I have had rocker arm issues (one with excessive wear on the pivot and one with a cracked pivot, both on old style aluminum pivot rockers) but nothing at all related to the pushrods.

Personally I would try to put them in the right way around, but wouldn't worry too much if you can't.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need to do is look at the wear pattern....Small round wear pattern is on the lifter...Large round pattern, is the rocker arm end. No problem....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...may go play with Grinder today and see what sparks fly...if I cannot differentiate from tip to tip via wear pattern as racer30 suggests which was my first though as I was reading this thread.

Just touching SIDE of ball on grinder will produce sparks, what sparks will tell you if hardened or not!

I'm actually thinking they are NOT hardened but the copper is a coating for anti friction and subsequently gets worn off. I cannot say for certain but it's a guess.

MORE TO COME...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online