Rockauto Main Battery Cable vs making your own

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I made my cable with car audio 0 gauge from amazon. Bought solid copper lugs locally and went to town. I spent about 75 on everything, but I also ran 0 gauge to the cab for a distribution block for my amps.

You should be able to make the one cable for around $30 I would think. Just make sure you get quality cable, I like knuconceptz for a good budget based 0 gauge.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Why are the parts soo expensive in Canada?

I know its prob a long answer, you can PM it to me since I dont want to thread jack

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short, its because up here, especially in BC, we pay way more taxes, then there are duty fees, currency conversion, and other stuff tacked on top of things. Apparently whoever makes these rules seems to think Canadians have lots of extra money to throw around.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
My personal experience with Rockauto.com has been nothing but excellent. I've ordered so many parts from there that I've lost count. I can usually get the higher quality parts from them for less than local places sell the cheap crap.

As or the welding cable, I've had it in my Cadillac for 4 years now. It runs under the whole length of the car to power the amps in the trunk. It still looks like the day I put it in there. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my truck either.

I worked for a company for a few years repairing welding cables. Those guys abused the heck out of them and the only real damage came from knives and using it as a rope. Lol

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone has a Implement Dealership close, ask them for bulk cable & ends.
The cable is thick as the OEM or little bigger.
A few years ago thats how I "made" mine.
Need to put the battery terminals on and fill with solder, shrink tubes, etc.
Price really won't be any cheaper then Rock Auto etc, but pretty good stuff.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short, its because up here, especially in BC, we pay way more taxes, then there are duty fees, currency conversion, and other stuff tacked on top of things. Apparently whoever makes these rules seems to think Canadians have lots of extra money to throw around.

Well dont you?? Because of that public health care.:eek:
Just kidding.

And RUBBER covered welding cable does not like oil.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet another big issue with welding cable is that the insulation cuts easily. That would be trouble in a collision. Probably why the stuff isn't in more general use, oil resistance aside. However, the flexibility of that stuff is awesome, and why I might choose to use it some day. The products from Custombatterycables.com look pretty good, and for the price, probably worth saving yourself the hassle of making your own.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O Reillys. I paid right at $100.00 for the correct, heavy cable with molded Cable ends. Exactly same as original. Fit and worked perfectly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online