Ring/pinion

Exekiel69

Reaction score
For a while now I've wanted to have 3.55 gears on My truck instead of 4.10's , I do not want to take my truck to a shop but I'd like to bring it to someone Experienced who can do it for Me. I'm in Frederick in case someone near me is available.

Thanks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your situation is, but you may be ahead to just swap rear ends. Just do bushings and all while you are at it and get a nice clean axle. Sterlings seem to be going for about the price of a gear set these days. Which truck are you wanting to swap? The 93? You'd probably be looking at a gear swap up front though. D60s around here are not terribly easy to come by. If you find a good shop, please share. My gear guy is in Clarksburg, WV. Not real convenient anymore.

By the way I'm not that far from you just for reference.

pafixitman

Reaction score
EZ! Where have you been hiding? Still doing chimneys? I thought you were down by Gaithersburg. Anyway....needless to say I am back in the area (but no truck) I am on the Taneytown side of Westminster.

As far as your post ... I have no idea.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Joe!!! we are not far at all, I moved to Frederick a few years ago, still with chimneys just no masonry anymore. I few years back I got my license for HVAC and I've been doing it since, I do all the inspections and carbon monoxide test for the chimney company when they install a liner.

I have not been to a shop since I joined the diesel stop and then the exodos here, I just can't ever let someone else drive my truck which is why I prefer to pay someone private to do it for me. The truck is in excellent shape but the cummins will do better if I lower the rpms. I'll keep looking and hopefully find someone in the area, I promise I'll share it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'll try to keep what I have, I just want higher gears, there has to be someone around here who can do it. I saw a thread You started about Your shop, it looks great, I like how You mounted the gypsum to the ceiling.

Not sure what your situation is, but you may be ahead to just swap rear ends. Just do bushings and all while you are at it and get a nice clean axle. Sterlings seem to be going for about the price of a gear set these days. Which truck are you wanting to swap? The 93? You'd probably be looking at a gear swap up front though. D60s around here are not terribly easy to come by. If you find a good shop, please share. My gear guy is in Clarksburg, WV. Not real convenient anymore.

By the way I'm not that far from you just for reference.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I talked to my guy about doing my D60 for me (I wasn't sure if the gears were okay or not at the time) I got a price of like 2K to go through it with ring and pinion. I was really glad that my gears patterned and were just barely in spec on back lash. If it had been the rear axle, I might have had it done but being the front won't get used that much, I let it ride.

It sounds steep but me going through and just putting in new bearings, seals and KPs I had nearly a grand in parts.

Thanks for the kudos on the shop. I actually hung OSB board that I had primed and painted white. Working out okay so far. Wish I had it all done.

Dogbrain

Reaction score
I actually have a 3.55 set with carrier. It's at my dad's shop in northern va. It's not hard to do a swap, people just get scared of it. I pulled mine because it was open and I switched to posi. Was easy, just need some bits and pieced from a rear supplier like randys or even rock auto.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I did the all new bearings on My D60 front and set the gears, it worked great since but then again I don't drive on 4wd all the time. For the rear axle I'm not sure I have the skills yet so I want someone who does to do it for Me, I might take the advice given here and find a 3.55 complete rear for my dually and then have the gears on the d60 done.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
MAYBE..... just maybe...... we could work out a swap......
I've been thinking of going steeper in mine, but it'd be a while yet until I can pull them later this summer..

Exekiel69

Reaction score
MAYBE..... just maybe...... we could work out a swap......
I've been thinking of going steeper in mine, but it'd be a while yet until I can pull them later this summer..

I'm not in a rush to do it but I do want to make the switch, the cummins has a lot of low end torque it doesn't need the 4.10 and I have low 4wd if I needed it. Let me know if You want to swap them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online