Return line to the fuel filter head?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's the fuel return line on the driver side but what is the one that goes from the first injector back to the filter head?

I'm working on designing a two tank VO system that will avoid any fuel mixing, can that line be eliminated? The two return lines banks are connected via a hose behind the intake hat anyway, don't see why it needs two.

Thanks,

-Rob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My 89 truck never did have the return lines going back to the fuel filter head. My return system has a line running from the # 1 injector back under the intake to the hard line manifold from the injection pump. Thats all near the # 8 injector.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That return line was to aid in purging any air from the fuel filter, but if you had any leaks in the return lines or the injector caps, it actually introduced more air and allowed fuel to return to the tanks, draining the filter. The result of this happening is a short start, followed by a hard start, as the filter has to be refilled and air purged again. Most seem to prefer converting to an electric pump, that way the purge is easy, and saves the starter.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a two tank WVO system, and i do have that line eliminated. I haven't had any problem because of that.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you won't have any problems with it gone......., until you run it dry one time.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can't really install a solenoid actuated dual tank system without draining the fuel lines since you have to cut a couple metal ones. Sure it take a lot of cranks to refil the system. Heck i disconnect the solenoid on the IP and crank it several times because i know it won't crank and i might as well save the stress on the ip.

an electric pump would make things easier but you need one that pulls fuel rather than pushing, and can handle the slightly thicker fuels in the long term. I have changed filters and altered the fuel lines a couple times and it just take patience going in and either another car or a charger to make sure that battery holds out.

just as precaution i never do more than 20 secs of cranking for 40 secs of cool down time.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks for the quick responses. I really never let it run dry, if I service the fuel system I can always fill the filter to aid in purging all the air.

-Rob

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Heck i disconnect the solenoid on the IP and crank it several times because i know it won't crank and i might as well save the stress on the ip.

just as precaution i never do more than 20 secs of cranking for 40 secs of cool down time.

Um, the IP is mechanical, so dissconnecting the power to it just means that you're keeping any fluid from going through it as it's spinning away while you're cranking. So even if there's some in the lines, you're not giving the ip ANY lubrication. Not sure how that does the ip any good?

Most here recommend 2min cool down time, just an FYI.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the tech article "thoughts on hard starts" for commentary on that return line function.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle