Retreads any good for IDI use?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that those Nebraska tires are the infamous TRIANGLE tire; and, in the words of my Triangle owning cousin, "they call them Triangles; but, they should be called Squares."

I have ridden in a few trucks that had them and they will shake your teeth out of your head.

Still, they are way better than a re-cap.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever try these?
http://high-tec-retreading.com//DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=240&tabindex=1

Not your traditional recap where they glue a strip of tread onto the carcass. They grind all the tread rubber off the carcass, put it into a mold, and mold new tread onto it -very similar to the way they mold the tread on a new tire. They're really picky about the carcasses they use too. They inspect them really well and only take matched pairs and sets.

I'm running sets on two of my Jeeps and they're great. You can make special requests like 10-ply as well for no extra charge. The last set I bought took less weight to balance than most new tires.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned about re-treads for the first time last week, on a Ranger forum I frequent.

A lot of people held the opinion that there are good modern processes for retreading that produce much better tires than the old ways.

The site cheaper_jeeper linked was mentioned, and people were claiming good success with their tires. There are some great deals on there! I'd love to pick up a cheap set of 35s or bigger :)

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate that picture! Maybe if it was an S-10 in the photo... especially if it was an S-10 that had a run in with Ms. Bigfoot...

You must be registered for see images

Before I bought my F-250, I was looking for a Ranger, and they are EXPENSIVE around here! Bottom line, you couldn't buy a 4x4 of any year, in any reasonable shape for less than $2k. You got the shaft, that truck was definitely worth more than you'll get paid out for. :mad:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always amazed me that the new ones are about the same price as a full size, but when you think about it, they all have about the same parts, same assembly time, and just a little less material.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Down here,right now,I would have to say you could easily get 6K maybe more for it.heck,I wouldn't put it past getting close to 8 Grand.I was at the stealership getting my oil changed(I know I know but have you ever tried to change the oil in a 3.0 V6 ranger?You can't get to the oil filter from below.Heck,I had to come in from under the cab to get to the drain plug thanks to the Snow Plow bumper.) and I heard them talking about trying to buy every ranger they could since there were NONE in the South east!Nearly All sold out.New,Used,whatever!

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rangers are awesome trucks. In North America though, Ford does a TERRIBLE job marketing them! I've seen some overseas Ranger ads, and they are neat :)

I think they should get Mazda to push their B-series harder. They are entirely a rebranded Ranger, but having an import name makes people rave....

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Down here,right now,I would have to say you could easily get 6K maybe more for it.heck,I wouldn't put it past getting close to 8 Grand.

I should hauled the IDI down there to sell it. Got 8000.00 for a running, not wrecked nice full size up here. Mel's in real dooky than 'cause he's further north!!!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the Rangers too. I wouldn't mind having a 4x4 Ranger for a grocery getter. But I gotta have the seats all the way back for my legs, and it's still tight.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also appear to be the only non-car that Ford is making that gets 20MPG. :rolleyes:

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeeeeeeeeah, sadly I've noticed that as well. Ford has always seemed behind in the fuel economy department.

Damn though, the 2.3 EFI Rangers were great for someone on a budget. Those motors lasted forever, and got amazing economy behind a 5-speed. The diesel Rangers were even better if you can find one.