Replacing water pump

DiecellDan

Reaction score
Can some one walk me through on the most efficient way to remove and replace a water pump on my 94 idi. I don't know where to start but I'm willing to try. Videos on YouTube aren't the best. I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll be standing by with a wrench in my hand...

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look in the "Tech Articles" on this forum you will find a nice writeup by riotwarrior that goes through the water pump replacement. Here's a link https://www.oilburners.net/threads/replacing-water-pump.59057/

One trick I learned from the forums was to draw the outline of the water pump on a piece of cardboard and make holes where the bolts should go. As you remove bolts from the water pump place them in the corresponding spot on the cardboard. This keeps your bolts from wandering off and it helps insure the right bolts go in the right location--which is important because the top two bolts on the WP are shorter so they won't contact the timing gears, and these two bolts also need to be coated with permatex no3 or equivalent to avoid leaking oil.

The fan clutch nut seems to be where a lot of people get stuck. You can usually borrow the tools to remove the fan clutch nut from a local Autozone or similar but i chose to buy an inexpensive set in case I had problems. One thing about removing the fan clutch nut is I would recommend placing a piece of cardboard between the radiator fins and the fan. It doesn't take much to damage those cooling fins.

I had the tiniest of leaks the first time I did this due to difficulty holding the pump steady while threading a few bolts in--pretty sure I pushed the gasket out of place. I got it the second time but I did come across a tip from someone here(I think) that suggested getting a few extra bolts for the water pump, cutting the heads off, make a groove so a flathead screwdriver can turn them, and then insert them into two of the upper mounting holes so they can hold the weight of the pump while you bolt it in place. I wish I had taken the time to try the bolt/stud technique because I think it would have saved me quite a bit of time in the long run. Good luck!

Reaction score
All good tips. Getting the right bolts in the right spots is critical, so pay attention there. Use thread sealant on the ones listed in the tech article. Make sure to clean up the surface real well (a razor blade works well). Paint the pump to prevent rust. I used the RTV specifically meant for water pumps. Seemed to work well.

Mike

DiecellDan

Reaction score
Awesome! Y'all helped out a lot. I can always count on y'all on here!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look in the "Tech Articles" on this forum you will find a nice writeup by riotwarrior that goes through the water pump replacement. Here's a link https://www.oilburners.net/threads/replacing-water-pump.59057/

One trick I learned from the forums was to draw the outline of the water pump on a piece of cardboard and make holes where the bolts should go. As you remove bolts from the water pump place them in the corresponding spot on the cardboard. This keeps your bolts from wandering off and it helps insure the right bolts go in the right location--which is important because the top two bolts on the WP are shorter so they won't contact the timing gears, and these two bolts also need to be coated with permatex no3 or equivalent to avoid leaking oil.

The fan clutch nut seems to be where a lot of people get stuck. You can usually borrow the tools to remove the fan clutch nut from a local Autozone or similar but i chose to buy an inexpensive set in case I had problems. One thing about removing the fan clutch nut is I would recommend placing a piece of cardboard between the radiator fins and the fan. It doesn't take much to damage those cooling fins.

I had the tiniest of leaks the first time I did this due to difficulty holding the pump steady while threading a few bolts in--pretty sure I pushed the gasket out of place. I got it the second time but I did come across a tip from someone here(I think) that suggested getting a few extra bolts for the water pump, cutting the heads off, make a groove so a flathead screwdriver can turn them, and then insert them into two of the upper mounting holes so they can hold the weight of the pump while you bolt it in place. I wish I had taken the time to try the bolt/stud technique because I think it would have saved me quite a bit of time in the long run. Good luck!
I like what yer sayin bout cardboard......

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the top two bolts may *not* be shorter anymore. The new waterpump castings have extra length in the casting for those bolts, so they use the same size.
Your replacement waterpump kit will probably come with a sheet explaining this and two new bolts of the correct length for those top two bolts.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I also like to spin the fan on the new water pump for a few threads BEFORE installing it. Sometimes the threads may have a leftover burr or something else on them and it's a real PITA to get the fan started on if this happens and the water pump is already installed on the engine.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you get the pump off you may very well wish you had a fresh set of bolts, preferably stainless. They are available.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i do in my shop when changing things like waterpumps , open the box and firstly make sure that what you ordered is the right part then i lay it out beside whatever vehicle im working on and as i pull a bolt from the pump i'll place it in the same hole in the new pump. When i've got the last bolt out and the old pump beside the new one , i take one bolt at a time and run it through the wire brush to clean everything up .... run a thread chaser through the waterpump housing while you're at it and things will go a lot smoother. ..... i also use a good antisieze compound when putting the bolts back in so the next poor ****** that has to do it has an easier job.

DiecellDan

Reaction score
@genscripter brother thanks a lot!

So, my father in law came over while I was at work. He took off the pump with the fan. He tried everything to get the fan clutch off. Long story short, he ended up torching the fan clutch off. He got me the new water pump and left it in my truck. Awesome guy. But... I have no idea what bolt goes where since I wasn't the one to take off the pump. Also the pump didn't come In a box or anything lol.

Fyi, already ordered a new fan clutch and motorcraft thermostat.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online