replacing gauges

sootman73

Reaction score
well my gauges finally decided to go crazy on me. oil and temp are different everyday. not by a little either. they go from end to end of gauge and different everyday!:dunno cookoo

so i bought some from autozone to replace oil, water temp, and voltmeter. now i just need to know where it is that i should put the senders:dunno

i know there is some port for the oil pressure near the filter head i think?

dont know where to pick up voltage and where water temp should go though.

any suggestions?

discbrks

Reaction score
The stock oil pressure sending unit is a the back of the block behind the glow plug relay. If you're gonna completely unhook the factory gauges, you can install it there. Or even install a brass tee and have both gauges. Temp gauge - not sure on that one.

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got a water temp gauge in my truck and if you look on the top of the water pump...just bellow the oil filler neck you will see a square plug in the water pump. i removed that and installed the gauge sending unit there. i can get a pic if you need it, but the plug is easy to see.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I plan to install my water temp sender in the back of the driver's side head. Looking through Mel's photo's gave me the idea, and that has to be one of the hottest locations in the water jacket...

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my coolant sensor on the drivers side. There are two electrical sensors in the block, the one lower on the block, the higher one is the original coolant sensor location but the new sensor was too long to fit in that location. I wired up the volt to the stereo wire that comes on with the ignition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70