Replacing Fuel pump

DieselChemist

Reaction score
So I'm putting in a Holley fuel pump. I have a couple of questions.
Is the fuel tank switching valve the huge valve right in front of my front tank. There are two line running from it, which one is the feed (the bigger one). My truck is on a slight decline (nose first) when I take the fuel pump off am I going to dump oil everywhere.
Thanks
Bill

offroadohio

Reaction score
Shouldnt dump oil anywhere, engine isnt supposed to be that full.

The fuel valve should have 6 lines running into it. 2 on top, 2 on bottom, and 2 out the front.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
where'd you get the holley pump? how much? and do you have any part #'s for it? i need a fuel pump and the guy i'm having order my part at the auto place can't find one, i'd rather have a better-than-factory one so i won't have to worry about it later! ;Sweet

thanks!!
-Jon

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Go online and lookup Summet. They will list it in the catalog and its probably cheaper from them.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Go online and lookup Summet. They will list it in the catalog and its probably cheaper from them.

they meet summit's proices and take a hefty percentage off! ;Sweet :D

-Jon

P.S just looked on summit, they don't have any fuel pump for the 6.9 listed...??

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Holley Red is not engine specific... its a universal electric fuel pump. It just happens to make the right amount of fuel pressure for our application in stock form and push more GPH than we could ever need even for a heavily modified truck. The extra fuel is not burned but whatever the fuel system doesn't use is returned to the fuel tanks. Bear in mind this fuel system also needs some excess to fuel to cool and lube it. The Holley isn't cheap but it's superior to the cheapy e-pumps. I used to not think so...but after having one, I won't go back. Now that purolator pump is not a bad little pump...it will take a lot of abuse and come back for more if I couldn't have a Holley Red and still wanted electric for these motors that's what I would have.