Replacement Steering Box

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
My 91 truck is need of a new steering box. There is so many aftermarket units I am not sure which would be the best choice. Your experience and advice is needed. Thanks to all who reply.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on a new one... other than if I was gonna buy one I would get it from Ford. I can offer you a used one though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Red head steering is supposed to do the best rebuilds around. They upgrade the things from the way they came out of the factory so the rebuilt units should last even longer. All the folks I've heard from who have one swear by them. They steer tighter and smoother than factory boxes. As soon as cash allows and I finish some other projects, that is on my list.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red head steering is supposed to do the best rebuilds around. They upgrade the things from the way they came out of the factory so the rebuilt units should last even longer. All the folks I've heard from who have one swear by them. They steer tighter and smoother than factory boxes. As soon as cash allows and I finish some other projects, that is on my list.

What ^^^he^^^ said; the "soon as cash allows" (and time) part too. ;Sweet

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa has them, that's what is in my truck. I don't remember what I paid for it though.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a box on my truck a few weeks ago. It wasn't a red head. I had not heard of them until now. I picked up a rebuilt box from fleebay for about $60. The hard parts were A.) getting the oil lines hooked up to the new box, B) Getting the pittman arm off the old box.

The oil lines were about has hard as I expected. Just hard to reach, and not a lot of room to move around. More of a PITA than anything else. The pittman arm was another story. After about 4 hours of trying to get it off the "right" way with a puller, wrenches, and some cheater bars, I had to take a grinder and cut the stud off the old box, then stick it all in a vice, apply some heat, and then drive the stud out with a three pound hammer. I'm finding this to be a general rule when working on my truck. Rented a set of fan clutch wrenches from the parts store on Saturday so that I could change out my leaking water pump. After about an hour of busting my knuckles with them, I went down to NAPA and spent $100 on a 1 7/8" combination wrench and a chain style strap wrench. Got home and had the fan off in about 10 min.

I hope your repairs go easier/better than mine did.

Mark

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online