Replacement for CDR?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Well, I purchased another piece of the puzzle today. Won a new Racor CCV 4500 w/4 new filters on Ebay today. Saved a bunch of $$$ too!

Gonna run it with the turbo/IC instead of RDT or CDR. If I ever buy the turbo!! Coming soon!

Should help keep the IC piping cleaner and not blow smoke and oil all over.

Don

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To everyone who's done a CCV install, I'd love to hear what people have to say about backpressure. I'm currently running an RDT and hoping like heck I don't get pulled over. I'm not putting out an excessive amount of blow-by, but before putting on the Banks adaptor, I had a breathing oil filler cap...and that put enough backpressure that my front and rear main seals started leaking like a sieve. At the time, someone on TDS said that he had had a problem with backpressure on the CCV setup he had installed, and he wound up removing it for that reason. This is the single biggest reason I don't already have one.

So, what do you all think?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated - Here is the photo of the Racor unit that I am installing near the master cylinder. Wise folks will skip this and mount theirs on the frame.

What I found so far:
1. While 90 degree fittings would make the install easier, they are 1-3/16" straight threads (-14AN). The size exist on the charts, but it does not appear that anyone actually makes this size.
2. It will be necessary to remove the unit each year to change the filter.
3. The cruise control unit bracket needs to bent /modified to move it closer to the fender for more clearance.
4. A 90 degree hose fitting for the drain with a remote drain plug would be nice. Maybe mount the remote drain on the side of the frame so it can be checked when draining the engine oil.

Attachments

• Racor.JPG
    Racor.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
What's the big deal with the oily mist hell it is just more fuel to burn. Unless you have a lot of blow by.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
What's the big deal with the oily mist hell it is just more fuel to burn. Unless you have a lot of blow by.
There was a discussion sometime back either on this board or the "other one" that the oil mist primarily makes it to a couple of cylinders and causes them to run hotter on a non turbo. For me it was either a new cdr or used Racor at nearly the same price. I figured limiting the oil mist being sent into the suction of the turbo might be a good thing too.

Last edited:

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone that makes -14 AN fittings. I sell Aeroquip and Parker and they do not service them at all.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the photo's of unpainted bracket to mount the racor next to the master cylinder. The thin grey lines on the drawing are grooves cut in the back side to 75% depth to allow for bending of the steel. The grooves were mig welded after the bracket was bent to shape. The cutout for the master cylinder is not exact and may need adjustment. I found over an 1/8" difference between the old and new master cylinders. The slotted hole for the master cylinder has no purpose other than correcting a mistake measuring.

The mounting holes for the Racor unit are not on the drawing since these were marked and drilled using the unit as a guide. The small bracket for the left side was made from 2" angle and was cut and drilled to fit.
Nuts were welded in place to allow quicker and easier annual r&r during filter replacement.

I did not measure the angle of the main bend. I bent it on the truck so that the inlet hose would just clear the front of the master cylinder.

Attachments

• Racor 1.JPG
    Racor 1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Racor 2.jpg
    Racor 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DWG.jpg
    DWG.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures of the Racor installed with a temporary hose. A preformed 3/4" heater hose with a 140-180 bend would be nice for the outlet.

The wiring harness to the master cylinder passes between the bracket and the Racor unit. The cruise control cable passes between bracket and the brake booster.

Also the cruise control unit bracket has been modified. The factory bends were removed, 2" added the bottom so an additional hole could be added. The factory lower mounting hole is now the top. This created the needed clearance for the return hose. Also I twisted the mounting bracket slightly toward the front so the cruise cable was not binding on the power brake booster.

The vacuum canister still needs a new home.

Attachments

• Racor 4.jpg
    Racor 4.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Racor 3.jpg
    Racor 3.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

OldiesF250

dedicated....
Reaction score
towcat said:
Especially with diesel emissions testing on the horizon in '07.

off topic, but why are diesel's going to need emissions and what years will it need? (i.e. 1980 and older dont need emmissions) or will it be all and any diesel?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CA is prolly going to phase in the "throttle snap test" over time, they are alreday doing smoke tests at the scalehouses. As far as retrofitting older diesels, I don't think that is going to happen. If your diesel had the stuff mounted when it left the factory, that's what's going to be required for the visual. Not much of an issue for the IDI trucks.