Replaced original Injectors at 266,000 Miles

Danoflapper

Reaction score
I've had a return line leak for the past week that I was putting off until I had time to replace the Injectors with some BB Codes I got from Russ this past spring. Anyway, I always wondered if the injectors were original; based off of the gray paint on everything. That and the fact that truck has been in my family since '98 when it had 75,000 miles on it. Sure enough. The date code was 10 of 93. I'm still running 6 of the original return line caps too!

Hopefully I'll pick up some mileage. (typically get around 11-12mpg) It does feel like it has more power. Actually my first test run with the new injectors I did a burnout and broke one of the u-joint straps, a bolt on the pinion yoke, and the rear most yoke on the drive shaft. I had to limp home in 4x4. How's that for more power?? Two new U-joints, a new drive shaft yoke, and strap kit and I'm back in business today. Runs great now! Shakes a bit at idle, but I imagine they aren't as smoothly worn in as the original set :)

Also, I've been daily driving this truck for 4 years now and haven't touched the glowplug system. I have fresh ones but didn't bother changing them out when I did the injectors. It starts SO good!

Sorry, had to brag.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats not bragging thats a testament to hoe easy these engines are to keep running. Did you have any fuel leaks and is the original injection pump on this engine. If not the oem pump then you need to time that engine for best fuel mileage and hp thats left on the table from retarded timing.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shaking might be caused by a worn injection pump. Mine did that after changing injectors up until the pump crapped out a couple months later.

Chase

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey; that is something to brag about. Those original injectors were wore out at 150k :D, the degradation is so slow, you don't even reallize it. Amazing what new ones will do. Now ya gotta get it timed. Might even twist the drive shaft then. ;Sweet :thumbsup:

randomguy

Reaction score
Similar story to you. My grandfather has owned his '91 7.3l since 1992 and it has around 280k miles on it. Around 260k it became really hard to start, turns out the original injectors were done. New injectors, return lines, and re timed and off it went again. Still running the original IP without issue. Personally, I'm convinced that it was the fact from day one he's ran ATF in the fuel. Of course the truck has lived an easy life and hasn't even needed a clutch either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online