Replaced fan blower motor and resistor, still making awful noise...

turbodidi

Reaction score
So my heater started making an awful noise (loud growling) a few days ago, it also stopped working on any other setting other than high...so I replaced the resistor and when doing that I went ahead and pulled the fan/motor out to find the fan was very wobbly on the motor so I got a new motor and put in. I still had a little bit of a growling noise but pretty quite...Started pickup up this morning and it sounds like hell, could the plastic housing the fan goes into be warped or something?

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the housing can warp. But most likely inside of the housing there is something causing the noise. When I upgraded the ac system I found a ton of crap inside of the housing.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But most likely inside of the housing there is something causing the noise. When I upgraded the ac system I found a ton of crap inside of the housing.
Agreed...it's really amazing how much stuff can build up in there. It only takes one leaf or small branch to make a really nasty racket inside the blower housing :shocked: Also, you can get a leaf on the resistor pack that gets heated by the coils, which can make the leaf smolder...that can make for an unpleasant smell in the cab, and there's even the remote chance of that starting a fire.

So, yeah, cleaning out the inside of the housing would be a very good idea IMHO...

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said you replaced the motor, but if the squirrel cage is warped out of balance it can still kiss the housing.

turbodidi

Reaction score
Thanks yall,
Getting off work in a couple of hours..gonna pull it into the shop and take back off. I gave the blower housing a good once over with the shop vac when had it off the first time, shined a light in before putting back together and all looked clean. Maybe I have a leaf or two in there, I do park under a tree everyday. Good call BDCarrillo, that is what I think has happened..could be warped/out of balance because of old motor. Thanks for the replies, will post here after while when I pull it back off.

turbodidi

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Well, got it off to find the cage all chewed up..must have been more worn than I realized when I put it on the new motor. Ordered new one from Ford, will be here tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.