Removing emusified water and antifreeze from WMO/ATF

mocetane

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on how to separate emulsified oil/water mix from WMO/ATF.?? Will it separate out and layer out over time from the other "good" WMO/ATF.
If not. how can one get the water out ? Centrifuge ? Distiller?
How do you get the antifreeze out ?? I assume it will kill a IP/injectors.

I am looking into running WMO/ATF/Diesel mix in a 1991 Cummins 5.9.

Thanks.

Last edited:

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score

mocetane

Reaction score
Just make a cone bottom drum, heat up the oil and it should settle to the bottom, you can just drain it off. Could take a few weeks to precipitate though... Make sure to shoot it through a water block like a Goldenrod before you burn it.

YOu can also use it as a deer feeder :)

Bet the deer will like the taste....:puke: :rotflmao

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks !!!!!

How long should I heat it up for ??? Would one of those strap heaters work ??

Will the antifreeze be bound to the water??

Does the Goldenrod have a reuseable filter? Or is it a $$ one that needs to be replaced often if there is a lot of water??

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'd use a silicone band heater, although you should just be able to let it sit and drain off the bottom. The Goldenrods are toss filters. ABout $6.00/pc

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been using a freaking turkey fryer...heating 5 gal at a time to 225 degrees and letting it sit overnight to cool in an open container. It is amazing how much clearer the oil looks !!!

mocetane

Reaction score
I had been using a freaking turkey fryer...heating 5 gal at a time to 225 degrees and letting it sit overnight to cool in an open container. It is amazing how much clearer the oil looks !!!
:thumbsup:

I was wondering about that type of approach. How much propane do you burn to cook 5 gallons to 225 degrees??
That is a small batch..would be nice if one could cook 30 gallons or more.
that would take a lot of propane...or nat. gas plumbed off the house....

C

cash

I did have a electric heater that was like a electric hot water heater element only 120v just drop it in the 2" hole in the 55 gal drum and it would cook the water out. Dono what it cost in watts but it worked good. Would like to find another one

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

I was wondering about that type of approach. How much propane do you burn to cook 5 gallons to 225 degrees??
That is a small batch..would be nice if one could cook 30 gallons or more.
that would take a lot of propane...or nat. gas plumbed off the house....

Not sure how much propane I use honestly. I have about 40 gal of hyd oil that I know is "wet"..... It takes about 8-10 minutes ( if I remember correctly ) to heat 4-5 gal of oil to 225 +/-.... Seems to work very well. The hyd oil I have that is wet has a slightly cloudy appearance to it. Once heated and allowed to cool it has a nice clean amber look to it. BIG difference. The majority of the oil I get is dry....so I haven't had to mess with it much...so the small volume works out ok for me.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have a electric heater that was like a electric hot water heater element only 120v just drop it in the 2" hole in the 55 gal drum and it would cook the water out. Dono what it cost in watts but it worked good. Would like to find another one

I have been looking for a smaller electric water heater for a while....everyone uses gas around here. Pizzes me off.

mocetane

Reaction score
I have been looking for a smaller electric water heater for a while....everyone uses gas around here. Pizzes me off.

I guess it would be too simple to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get an electric HW heater element that is rated for 120V and just straight wire it.cookoo
I am sure one would need a few other essentials in order not to melt the whole place.:eek:

mocetane

Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online