Relocating the CDR - opinions welcome

suv7734

Reaction score
CheaperJeeper,

I finally got some pics of what I was trying to explain regaring the original Banks mounting of the CDR and routing of the hose to the timing cover. The original Banks mount calls for the CDR to be mounted to the air cleaner with the inlet pointing up. The hose then runs up, over the air inlet and then back down to the timing cover adapter (see Banks instruction sheet). In that orientation when the hot vapour cools and condensers (turns to liquid) it will accumulate in the CDR and once it's half full it just starts to drain into the air cleaner housing. There is no way for it to drain back into the engine.
What I did was cut the hose from the CDR to the timing cover adapter and install a coupling so I could change the orientation of the hose and then mount the CDR with the inlet pointing down so if any vapour cools and condensed it will run out of the CDR, into the hose and eventually back to the timing cover adaptor. It seems to be working quite well and has been like that for at least a couple of years. Just something you might want to try that's cheap and easy.

Attachments

• cdr_remount.JPG
    cdr_remount.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 6
  • adapter_connection.JPG
    adapter_connection.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 6
  • CDR0001.jpg
    CDR0001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 10

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure don't understand what Banks was thinking. I have a CDR on my turbo setup that is for a 6.5 Chevy and there is a sticker saying "this side up" so the bottom inlet is for sure to be down for draining.

Jim

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CheaperJeeper,

I finally got some pics of what I was trying to explain regaring the original Banks mounting of the CDR and routing of the hose to the timing cover. The original Banks mount calls for the CDR to be mounted to the air cleaner with the inlet pointing up. The hose then runs up, over the air inlet and then back down to the timing cover adapter (see Banks instruction sheet). In that orientation when the hot vapour cools and condensers (turns to liquid) it will accumulate in the CDR and once it's half full it just starts to drain into the air cleaner housing. There is no way for it to drain back into the engine.
What I did was cut the hose from the CDR to the timing cover adapter and install a coupling so I could change the orientation of the hose and then mount the CDR with the inlet pointing down so if any vapour cools and condensed it will run out of the CDR, into the hose and eventually back to the timing cover adaptor. It seems to be working quite well and has been like that for at least a couple of years. Just something you might want to try that's cheap and easy.

Thanks for going to all that trouble man - I really appreciate it. I guess I forgot that it was originally oriented that way. I flipped mine too - about a year ago after I first got the truck.

It is still putting too much oil vapor through the turbo for my peace of mind.

I'm re-plumbing mine to where it goes to the intake housing on the bottom of the air cleaner assembly, and mounting the CDR itself almost directly above and to the right the oil filler neck vent adapter.

I'm hoping that by venting it to the inside of the airbox the K&N filter will catch most of it, and anything that condenses inside the CDR will drain straight back down into the filler neck adapter.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I tried going in front of the air filter with my ats. It plugged a paper filter within 100 miles. Made the filterminder run at 20". Couldn't have that. Might do the same to the K&N. I hope you try it out though, and see if a K&N works better.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk about the CDR, what exactly does this thing do? I dont think i have one on my 85, or do i?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online