RED DYE DIESEL FUEL

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the cop would have to have grounds to impound a vehicle. Lots of cops lie to get you do do what they want. I'd love to know the actual law with regards to private vehicles.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about the trolling.

Not to make you talk about it in depth though, I'd like to ask a couple of questions if you'd humor me for a second. I'm a bit of a bio-fan and proponent, although it has some short comings.

1) Do you react your own? Or do you use straight veggie?

2) If you react, are you having any "Black Honey" issues? And NO! I don't mean your girlfriend honey for anyone thinking along this vein.

Thanx.

I couldn't imagine anyone giving grief over veggie fuels. Not only are they viable, but contains neither red dye, nor actual taxes! In small quantities, it's considered "experimental" and has such a loop hole for garage blenders. I think it's over 100 gallons and you've magically become a "professional"... THEN, the IRS, EPA, business tax authority, fire department and all other agencies want a monetary piece of your hide!

400 gallon a quarter,, per EACH driving member of the household. this is fed,, diff states see it different...and you can burn all your OWN wmo you want!!! no matter how much it comes to each month....

sassyrel

Reaction score
I would think the cop would have to have grounds to impound a vehicle. Lots of cops lie to get you do do what they want. I'd love to know the actual law with regards to private vehicles.

and THAT, is a fact..and as you well know,,i dont believe anything any DOT trash tells me.....as i believe,,they are damn few honest ones..i knew of one,,and i believe he died of cancer not long ago...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why can they impound it your not out street racin it so they only think your breaking the law as in your grandpas case he was getting harassed for no reason at all?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat told me over dinner last night that if you had locking hood pins an a modded motor they can not open your hood without a warrent.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats also like saying wait stay here imma put you in the back of my car tell me chief calls me and says that my arrest warent went through and now your going to gay. That has to be a crime.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. I have heard rumor that Mi will fine $1000/gallon for red diesel on the road. I haven't confirmed it though.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got checked a few years back, North East of Redding Ca just out of Shingletown, Big sign said all diesel trucks pull over for inspection. I had no red dye in my tanks. They said could be up to 10,000$ fine.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's around farm country. Farmers trying to smuggle red dye I'm sure. Of course the inspectors ignored the beds full of weed coming out of the North! HEY! They're farmers too!

sassyrel

Reaction score
why can they impound it your not out street racin it so they only think your breaking the law as in your grandpas case he was getting harassed for no reason at all?

because some DOT occifers,,believe they can lie to,,and fool many..and thats the reason,,many people, dislike cops in general.. and thats not to say all cops are bad..you know about one bad apple..

crazyredneck

Reaction score
I was just told that here in Kansas that if they check and find red dye that it is a $25,000 fine for individuals and even more for a business. No matter how much is in there. I will have to do some checking on that.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. I have heard rumor that Mi will fine $1000/gallon for red diesel on the road. I haven't confirmed it though.

my buddy has a 2002 powerstroke and he went to the bp station by him to get diesel and he noticed it was different, he told me it was tinted red, i told him it was off road diesel and could possibly get a fine if caught, and he told me it was at the same pump he always went to , there isn't even an off road diesel pump at the the station, so i went there and sure as s#$% it was red, two weeks later it was back to regular diesel, so how would that work if they did a dip test and the person really didn't even know they had off road diesel because someone put the wrong stuff in the tank?

Armo

Reaction score
my buddy has a 2002 powerstroke and he went to the bp station by him to get diesel and he noticed it was different, he told me it was tinted red, i told him it was off road diesel and could possibly get a fine if caught, and he told me it was at the same pump he always went to , there isn't even an off road diesel pump at the the station, so i went there and sure as s#$% it was red, two weeks later it was back to regular diesel, so how would that work if they did a dip test and the person really didn't even know they had off road diesel because someone put the wrong stuff in the tank?

I know a trucker this happened to he just kept receipts and they traced it back to the station he got it from and they discovered the station was hauling dyed and regular with the same tanker so the dye was getting into the road diesel. He got out of the ordeal but he did have to put up a bit of a fight to show he was innocent.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as tank dipping, don't do dye if you cross from AZ, NV, OR, UT into Klownifornia... they do dip there. Not so much on the general highway, but then again, if you get ratted out, license plates reported and all.... well, you know.
Not true. Been an Oregonian my entire life. Never heard of anyone ever getting their tank dipped. EVER. They might check commercial trucks, maybe. Not sure how anybody could rat you out unless you went bragging about it and pissed somebody off, private people are not allowed to dip your tank either. Even if you complained the cops are NOT going to go to somebody's house and dip their tank. Not a non commercial outfit anyway.

My dad was a commercial hazmat truck driver in OR, he has never heard of anybody getting their tanks dipped either. DOT was always breathing down his back and stopping him for checks.

The cop would say "that's fine, I will have your truck impounded and I will ask for a warrant, then we will dip your tank"

This happened to my grandpa with his dodge diesel service truck. He didn't have locking caps, just a north woods mountain man mentality. He said to even open the fuel door without his consent is unlawful search. So the DOT cop told him "thats fine, I will impound your vehicle and then get a warrant" grandpa backed down at this point. His tanks were full of road legal fuel... LOL

Grandpa shouldn't have backed down. Judges do not grant warrants for stupid things like that. The cop would have to have some serious evidence indicating that he was running untaxed fuel. If a cop ever dips the tank of a private citizen without their permission, they have broken the law themselves and it is not admissible in court. Do not ever give them permission for anything...even if you are not guilty.

The '83 I just bought came with a 50 gallon transfer tank in the bed full of red fuel, and, two full fuel tanks. It was sold to me this way by a certified used car dealer. I'd say after the first tank and refill with clear (my tanks run out at 1/4) the red dye was diluted enough to not be visible through a light dose of 2 cycle oil. (fuel looked green) The fuel filter did still look red inside, but that does not in any way prove I was running red fuel on the road.

Also, if you have a big ass diesel transfer tank in your bed, this is a HUGE red flag to anybody that might want to or actually have the chance to dip your tank.

What I think is really funny, is even if you want to avoid taxes, there is no reason what so ever you need to burn dyed fuel. If you keep your diesel receipts, you can send them into both the state and feds for tax refunds on every cent you paid. Simply tell them you used it in your tractor. They're never going to check. I do this with heater fuel in my shop because I don't keep a bulk tank and I have no local pumps for offroad diesel.

Last edited: