RED DYE DIESEL FUEL

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you understand how the dye actually works?
It's not just a "color."

Yes, I understand everything about the related chemistry of the dye. I don't understand how your question is related to this thread in any way? The color is indeed used as a visual indicator. If color suggests further inspection is needed, then the fuel can be further tested to confirm or deny what is causing the color.

When I bought my '83 it was easy to tell if it had untaxed fuel or not, I just opened the cap and it was all red. I wasn't even trying to look for that, but it was way obvious. After just one tank (still 25% red fuel) and some 2 cycle oil, it was no longer visibly obvious.

According to earlier posts in this thread, the IRS likes fuel to be dyed so deep that it can be seen after several tanks. That isn't really how it works though. Might show up on some test after several tanks, but would give no indication that anything needs testing visually.

Last edited:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if this wasn't a surprised resurrection notice from a few ages ago.

Number21, just because you've never heard it, doesn't make it so, especially in Klownifornia, the true police state.

Here's something of interest regarding the cooperation between the ARB of Klownifornia and the IRS: http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs124.pdf

And because you haven't heard about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened, because I have, and it wasn't some obtuse story, it was 2 friends away, this since I wrote my original post.

Obviously this isn't just a Klownifornian issue as North Dakota has had public meetings over the issue: http://bismarcktribune.com/news/loc...cle_f2e1bc34-882d-11e2-8471-001a4bcf887a.html

Back to Klownifornia. Here's a sample "notice" contract that bulk customers must sign when purchasing red dye diesel from a bulk distributor.... take note the fine, it says "The greater amount":http://www.dionandsons.com/Forms/Red_Dye.pdf

BTW- the Canucks take it pretty seriously too, and are pretty suspicious of us diesel Yankees: http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/bulletins/ft/pamphlet_truckersdyeddiesel.html

Let me just end by saying, this tax is used to repair our roads (when the legislature isn't funding their pet projects or making up budget shortfalls elsewhere). We in Klownifornia have worse roads than any snow damaged Northern State or even Mexico. Evading the road tax is not only considered criminal, but in the end will cost more than you save if caught. Just because nobody has heard about a good tank sticking, doesn't mean it doesn't or hasn't happened. You all get to make up your own minds and opinions about how you will handle the red dye fuels, but don't think for a second that the State of wherever won't jack up your wallets if found evading fuel tax.

All the diesel fuel is identical (I'm only talking common diesels), the only difference is the color and how it is taxed. Machinery and vehicles that do not operate on public roadways do not have to pay the "use" tax and why it is red. Everyone else gets to pay.

Trust me on this, I'm no fan of excessive taxation, especially into a system which doesn't deliver as promised the maintenance contract sold. But why risk it, especially in older trucks which draw LEO's eye, because they know we aren't up to TIER IV standards and probably burning something the ARB would love to collect extra fines off of.

Again, it's up to you, I aintchurmomma.

I haven't been on the boards in a long while. Still have my ole ugly posted in the avatar, still a daily driver with over 100k put on by me personally. Love my big boned girl!! She's run street legal diesel, tranny fluid, WMO, veggie and even some new 15W-40 I had left over in a 55gallon drum from an oil change job I did....but never red dye has touched her lips! Only burned out one IP and one set of injectors, it was the original one. And it fried because I missed some water while in a hurry, I used an uncleaned storage container instead of the cleaned fuel/oil mix container. I figure another 30k and I will have to change em again, already have the IP and full rack sitting on the shelf!

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Number21, just because you've never heard it, doesn't make it so, especially in Klownifornia, the true police state.
I was only speaking of Oregon. They DO NOT regularly check tanks here, ESPECIALLY in private vehicles. Yes, they do check in some communist states. Anybody driving a diesel into commiefornia should expect to be guilty until proven innocent.

Yes, they may check tanks on very rare occasion when suspicions are raised in OR. You can also refuse to be checked and have no penalty. They don't go checking people's tanks "cuz it's a diesel". That alone is not probable cause for a search.

I didn't say it was OK to burn offroad fuel on the road, and I made it clear it's really stupid to burn red fuel on the road for any reason. Even if you want to save the taxes you can send in for a refund. I wouldn't even buy offroad diesel if I had a tractor...

PS - the tax refund thing works on gasoline too. It's not limited to diesel vehicles.

Last edited:

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another important fact - the tanks on many newer vehicles cannot be "dipped"! I have a 2004 F350 that was sitting for a while full of diesel fuel. I wanted the fuel for something else so I tried to siphon it out. It's nearly impossible to get any sort of hose down through the filler neck! Certainly not possible to stick any sort of rod or stick down there. Newer trucks are even harder to get at the fuel tank!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Number21,

I know I called you out on this a bit, but was "supposed" to read like a general message. Can't stress enough to folks that yes they do check tanks, and yes..... especially in ******-country.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It can be done. The small hose they use will go.
You know they can test the exhaust right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online