Rebuilt IP installed no diesel coming out of IP working on it now.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Per Mel's tech article, I have jumpered the forward most contact on the drivers side of the top of the IP to 12 volt power, I hear a click, GP circuit is disconnected, I have an electric lift pump, I have cranked about 10 times for 10 seconds each, injectors are not hooked up, no diesel coming out of them, I cracked the fuel inlet to the IP, good diesel flow there, I cracked well open one injector line at the IP, no diesel comes out, I cracked open the three 5/16ths bolts at the top of the IP, no diesel comes out.

I am stuck as to what to do now.

gandalf

Reaction score
John, give us an update history on the IP. Is this a new IP? Is it an older IP which should be working, an older IP which may be working, or an older IP which you hope will work?

You're sure all the plumbing is right? From what you're saying, your lift pump id working. You're getting fuel to the front end of the IP, but not out the back end. There's just no through-put.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOOK OUT, DON'T LOOSEN THOSE BOLTS ON THE IP You might get a runaway engine. Are you sure you hooked 12V to the right terminal, it's the terminal under the return line fitting.

Attachments

• DVC01376.JPG
    DVC01376.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 26

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a check valve and screen on the input fuel line to the IP, maybe some dirt is plugging it up, since you have fuel to that point. Disconnect the hose on top, the fuel return line as in the pic on the other post, fuel should come out there when the IP is energized and the pump is on.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
HI all, yes fuel lift pump is working, it is gushing fuel at the IP input side elbow. It is the IP which was running this truck fine, no funny smoke - good power - just leaking, was rebuilt by a reputable local IP diesel shop. Yes no throughput on the IP, fuel at in, not coming out, what tests can be done? 12 volt pow is to the correct terminal as shown in oldbull8's pic, the Fuel Control Solenoid Connection, and I hear a good click when connecting and disconnecting my alligator clips.

How does one trouble shoot fuel in/out of an IP?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your getting fuel into the IP, but not out, that would say there is a problem with the IP. talk the the shop that rebuilt it and tell them whats going on

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
John... This same thing happened to my second Moose pump when Mel and I installed it at the 2009 ralley. We never did see fuel come out the top return line fitting. Neither of us knew why... So we connected everything and started chaanking at wide open throttle. I ran the batteries down twice but was able to charge them up thanks To littledoggie (Joe)... He had a battery charger... Behind his rear seat...:eek::angel: And I thought I had everything behind my rear seat... Nope... Anyway just try cranking at wide open throttle for 20 seconds. Then crack open some lines at the injectors... Listen for air escaping.. Repeat same...... Sometimes fuel just wont come out the top fitting till you are up and running... This fitting is a check valve. What the electric solenoid does is pushes a pin up into the vale to open it. Now if you completely removed the fitting from the to of the injection pump aluminum housing maybe then fuel will be flowing thru the pump when the electric pump is turned on....

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I had this same problem. It turned out to be a LOT of air in the system. When all was said and done, I had attached the injector lines, but left them slightly loose. I cranked the engine with the throttle wide open until I could see fuel bubbling out around the tops of the injectors, and tightened them as I saw the fuel coming out. Once it was all said and done, it would still not start. I finally disconnected the GP harness and gave a SMALL shot of ether. I cranked it over and the truck stumbled a little, but it finally started and purged out the rest of the air.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Pics just in case I missed something

First is just my big battery charger, I am cranking for about 20 seconds, then I come inside, second is my jumper wire on the IP and third is how I disconnected my glow plugs, I took off the big wire that goes to the battery and both of the little wires. I am leaving the key on to keep the electric fuel pump working when I come inside and the jumper wire on too, I read here that doing so will purge air, If I am missing something let me know, I am giving good long cool down periods (5 minutes) for the starter.

Attachments

• Belle start after IP 001.JPG
    Belle start after IP 001.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Belle start after IP 002.JPG
    Belle start after IP 002.JPG
    602.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Belle start after IP 003.JPG
    Belle start after IP 003.JPG
    667.1 KB · Views: 6

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
It started, ran ruff and died, I started it again ran ruff (like Mel says in his tech article), lots of white smoke, I shut it off to reinstall the air cleaner. Loud, noisy, I have not owned this or any vehicle diesel long enough as to what is the right amount of noise, I have two diesel tractors and know the noise they make.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Runs pretty smooth to me, a lot smoother at about 1,500 RPM, kind of lopy at idle. Will see how she starts in the morning, thanks much all.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it running. Do you think it was just excess air like others mentioned?
Again, glad you worked through it and got it. Good job.

Chris

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I have to guess it was excess air, I cranked and cranked, (with lots of rest periods) just like Gary said, finally saw a little diesel at one injector then another. Never did see diesel at the one injector line I cracked at the IP, but I saw it at that injector!? Now I am ready to make her much nicer.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Congradulations on this starting up... Now time it with your new kent moote tach n time on either the number one or number 4 injector line. Sounds like you have the pump retarted a bit... Reconnect the glow plugs and go for it.... Again... Sure glad you got it running. Sometimes it takes a little more effert but they will run easliy after you figure out whats going on....:sly