Rebuilt IP install check list

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
WOHOOOOO!;Sweet Got my IP today and gonna get her put in tomorrow afer work. Just going thru the tech forums and making sure I have everything I need and and ready to do the switch. Also gonna put in the mech lift pump at the same time:eek:
This evolution will complete the fuel system maintainance repairs.:cheers:
I am not gonna turn up the pump cause I really don't have the need to right now and no pyro to watch the EGT's. She's my daily driver and am looking for some better mileage;burnout
Any last minute pointers or heads ups? I got the install kit with new bolts as have seen previous treads about them backing out:eek: Got a local diesel wrencher said he would help if I get in a bind but he said after talking with me about the info y'all have put out, he said there's a few out ther who have helped me get my Autolite in gear.:hail

Wish me luck, as this is gonna be a first for me.:smash:

Ron:Hitit

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The basic things I have done are
Clean the ends of the injector lines as they are installed.
Install the lines from the bottom up on both sides.
Install the line clamps, don't drive without them.
If a line seems out of place when installing the line clamps, too high or low, loosen the ends and see if the line is being twisted.
Make sure the batteries are fully charged. Let the starter cool down between attempts.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
:***: HOLY:number2
I should have done this long before now! The ole gal grabbed 2nd gear and let 'em have it:peelout Then crap, forgot got a poor DMF and now I'm gonna have to do the Lucky mod as things were a rattling pretty good after THAT little incident.
So.. Mel, your tech article and those who were also involved :hail :cheers:
It got me thru the operation in 2 1/2 hours, start to finish. THANKS!
I didn't get to change the lift pump as time was an issue but is next project this week.

I have one question though. On startup I still get the noise best described as a horse that is snorting:***: Thought the new IP would get rid of it be lessened it somewhat. Any thoughts?

Ron

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, I wouldn't be surprised if that noise is actually your DMF. Get that lucky mod going, and then we'll see if you actually have a fuel problem or not. ;) Glad the article helped you out.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I spoke to the guy who has one for me yesterday, just gotta go pick it up and do the conversion. I thought the same thing with the noise and may be related. I give it a little throttle and then let off right after startup,and it will go away. Wondering if it is the lift pump not moving enough fuel on startup to cause the noise. The DMF really was rattling hard lastnight if I just revved it up and quick let off. Probably didn't help it out any driving it like I stole it:peelout. I have drill this wekend so the changeover is out of the question then, but am gonna do the switch ASAP as I really don't want to get a new zf cause the thing came apart either.
Question tho.. will the Lucky mod create more strain on a weak input shaft bearing which is noisy already or should everything be status quo? I don't really intend on hauling anything heavy with the ole gal and just want to get the mileage back up to where you guys are running at and have a solid vehicle.

Sorry, long winded today.

Thanks

Ron:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, I don't have any data that would indicate it is harmfull to the transmission. There is a bit more vibration transmitted at low RPM, but that is all in the gears. I would think the input bearing might cause wear to the pilot bearing, so you might want to check that while you have it out.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Got a kevlar pilot bearing in there already and looked good on initial breakdown. Gonna get that DMF hopefully this weekend to start tearing apart so I'm not stranded and a junked ZF if she decides to come apart on me.:eek: