rebuild the old truck or just bye a new 1

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i have a 91 f-350 with the 7.3 idi and it's a good soild truck has 126,000 on it...it's been in the family sence day 1 and it has every bell and wisell yuo could put on that truck power everythiing,ac,tilt,cruse, u name it has it lol....any ways the bigest problem with my truck is that the floors r gone but iam getting them fixed soon....but i do a lot of travrling with a 10ton flatbed goose neck trailer hauling my farm equpiment around....and the old girl does good but can some time run hot....so is there any thing i can do 4 more power cheap and cooler temps or do i need just to get a newer truck with a 7.3 powerstroke???????/

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Running hot could just be something real simple. But first you got to tell us a little more about your truck, does it have a turbo or not? Is the pump turned any? You can expect it to run a little hot pulling things, how hot are we talking anyways?

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
I was in your boat a while back and decided to keep my idi and fix it up. It got a d60 last week and now Im working on the body. More power will come third. Heating problems could be several things. Mine heated up on the highway a while back and turned out the thermostat wouldnt open all the way. More details on your truck would help.

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well the truck is as stock as they come only thing i change on it was a 3 inch straight pip other than that no turbo no pump work....i put a new thermostat and it cold it down bye like 1 letter on my temp gage....when not towing it runs right on the (N) of normal and when towning heavy it runs between (A-L) almost past the normal line so it's close but idk y so................. i waz thinking maby put eletric fans and maby to look and see if my radiator is not pluged up

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Errr, only 126k, am I missing something here???
That thing is just a baby, get a new thermostat, from the dealer only, put a real gauge on it, fan clutch is probably due for replacement, for an upgrade, the MS Tech fan clutch is well worth the extra money
If you tow heavy, an aluminum radiator from Rodney Red is cash well spent, I love mine.

If still on the original pump and injectors, it[s getting due for new ones.

I seriously doubt it's time for a rebuild. at 126k, that thing should just be getting well broken in, it's just due for a little maintnence for an 18 year old truck

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Get a mechanical gauge while your at it...Ditto on only using a factory thermostat replacement. Its not an option its a MUST.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to compete with the power of a stock powerstroke then a turbo is the only real option. Used ones are available for well under the cost of a new one.

If the new thermostat doesn't fix the problem then your radiator might be partially blocked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online