Rebirth of a 1990 F250.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I'm sure it's gonna be over 10k, but it shouldn't be much higher, if any.

Alright, holes are welded up, and a fantastic job was done. Real simple.

Used a heating torch, and a brass rod to melt it in the holes.

I grinded them down once back home, and a quick shot of primer on 'em to keep it from oxidizing.

Dropped it off the trailer, and back on it's dolly, and back in the corner in the garage. Next will be for sand blasting around where the windshield use to be. I'll be doing that my self, with my small sand blaster.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Alright, so I got back a few days ago from my month long trip. All went great!

First week was spent in MI, at the IDI Rally :D

Then it was off to the worlds largest truck stop on I80 in Iowa, bought a ton of lights and chrome there :D

Then down to Tennessee, Nashville, and then went on the East coast SC, NC and up back to Canada fallowing the beachs on the way up.

During the trip, we did every salvage yard we saw and looked up on the GPS that was on our way, looking for a Rad support, drivers door and fender, and hubcaps.

Well, I got a mint rust free Diesel Rad support from a 1990 U-Haul F350 in Tennessee, and a fender and gasser rad support for my F150 near Nashville.

And then a drivers door from a mexican pick n' pull in Virginia, no rust, and no dents, 50$ :D

The only thing i'm STILL missing is some damn hubcaps, darn things are unbelievable to find!

If any of you have a set of these in the shed or something in great shape, please let me know!!!

I need the 2 rear deep ones, and front 4x4 ones.

You must be registered for see images attach

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time. I would lobe to go yard hopping like that. :D

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Check Ebay for the hubcaps. Often. Sometimes you can get lucky at wreckers, but you have to get there early in the morning. These look like van caps, if there is a difference. If you get really desperate, there is a website that has loads of new and reproduction hubcaps, but you will pay dearly for them ($50-75 ea).

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
These hubcaps were on both trucks and vans, they are the basic ones, mostly on "Custom" trim level trucks, budget trucks :D

I went through ebay many times, never get lucky, and I don't even have an ebay account to start with. I know LMC has 'em new, but I'd like to avoid those overseas repros.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I guess I should have checked in on this thread before the rally.

Jon, shoot me some measurements on them. I've got a couple that I glommed onto at one of my field trips to the pick n pull.

Was on a use em on Mater but interfered with the trim rings.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
My 86 had those hubcaps IIRC. I think they were the base caps...my truck was an XL.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Reset2 here. Glad you had a good trip. I think I saw your pictures of the truck stop on photobucket(?). I was at the rally also in the ambulance (left the IDI at home). Ill look at home for the hubbys, but I think that I only have old chevys.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
*fffffffffff*

(blowing the dust off this old thread!)

Alright so, F250 is back home, towed it with the van with a tow bar, fired up the truck with the clutch (batteries cranked to slow), and pushed the van with the F250 for a while to clean up the engine since it's been sitting for a while.

Still runs like a top!

Backed it in the garage, it put it up on wheel dollies.

Now the rad is out and a couple other little things.

Heres some pics!

Had a couple friends of mine come help me to move the cab and box into the carport, heres one of them photo bombing.

Now I just gotta wait till we take apart and re-seal the '86 6.9L we have in the garage on the engine stand, once that's done, that's going in my dads '89 F150, then we'll proceed to getting the 7.3 out of the F250, and finish stripping it down to the frame, and remove what's left of the cab. I will keep the firewall intact with the dash will the last minute when were ready to swap the dash over to the new cab, that way it'll all be done in one day so no loss of memory of where stuff goes behind the dash.

Hopefully before winter, the frame will be sand blaster, painted, axles rebuilt, and the driveline back in all ready to roll, and next spring, the body will get painted, and installed.

QUESTIONS!

The 2 bolts that hold the rad support in place, they are in a rubber bushing, how do I remove those studs once the rad support is out? What's holding them there?

And also, I'm Stripping down my other '86 6.9 engine I have in my garage that's going in my '89 F150.

I have the oil cooler off.....any trick to popping loose the 2 end caps?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did this. They thread in that bottom bushing. Its a PIA to get them out especially if its rusty. One side came out with the core in place the other side popped up and I had to use a large pair of channel locks to hold the bushing and work the bolt out. There is a hex hole in the support bracket the bushing sets in.

I like the short box on the long box frame. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a crew cab on a Scab frame with a short box if I decide I'm happy with the truck and can find a clean crew cab.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin