Reason to pump your own fuel, OR residents.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see pumps popping up now that are dispensing DEF out of the same hose as regular diesel. Anybody else thrilled about that? LOL
I can understand the same station, but the same hose/nozzle?!? That seems weird... cookoo

Actually, is it even possible? My company just got a 2013 F-550 that has a DEF tank, and the fill neck looks to be too small to accept a diesel nozzle. I figured they did that deliberately to keep people from pumping diesel into the DEF tank... :dunno

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I see pumps popping up now that are dispensing DEF out of the same hose as regular diesel. Anybody else thrilled about that? LOL
Mel the def that is dispensed at the truck stops is dispensed from a different nozzle than the fuel which is smaller but my boss did have a driver put def in the diesel tank and boy did that F---- things up

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just out in Oregon a couple weeks ago. I grew up there and knew that the attendant has to pump gas. My wife on the other hand was like *** is this guy doing. the only problem I have with it is when you get idiot attendants. We drove down to Bandon and had to stop for some fuel. pulled in and there were two other vehicles there. there were just two attendants, each at one of the vehicles. 5 minutes goes by and I'm still sitting there, 10 minutes... I hate waiting on something I can do myself. meanwhile I notice the attendant that is helping the 68 bronco next to us(really nice rig). he was trying to get the gas to flow into it. the dude had to have put 5 gallons on the ground and down the side of the bronco. i said to my wife(with the window down) I'm not paying for some idiot to spill my gas and we went down to the next station.

we had a rental car that was a gasser which got crappy mileage compared to our TDi jetta wagon. other wise i would have just filled up myself.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To simplify things. What is DEF and what problems can they cause? And whats the difference

It's urea, smells bad. Simple answer, it's injected in the exhaust to clean the doc and dpf, pretty much the diesel version of a cat. Last i heard it's about 10-13k bill if you throw it in the tank on a DD15 rig and run it till it quits. Don't need to worry about it unless you own a new rig or OTR rig.

*On second thought, if they have pumps that dispense it, yah make sure you don't put it in you tank. Not good.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Vancouver, Wa. Right over the river from Oregon and have had to help people with Oregon plates get the pumps in Washington started 'cuz they don't know how...you know who they are 'Cruz they stand there with a nervous dazed look on there face..
They can't help not knowing how to do something they've never been shown.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but why would it even be forbidden for people to pump their own fuel? I live in Florida, and I have never even seen a fuel station that isn't self service. I thought full service stations ended years ago..

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I have lived in CT, AZ< and CO in the last 3 years, got some real communist places in that mix, and I thought full service fueling stations were gone with the wind. If some idiot gas station attendant told me I was a stupid kid I would remind him what he does for a living. Kind of a low blow but who cares maybe itll knock some sense into him.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have encountered the attendant pumping your fuel in both OR, and NJ. The chubby idiot emo kid in Oregon let the fuel back up and barf all over my truck. You'd think if all you did was pump fuel all day every day, you could master putting fuel into anything. Especially with some of the crap rolling around Oregon. I had zero issue with the guy in NJ, though it was gas in a rental. I try not to fuel in either state if I can possibly help it.
Travis..

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When I lived in Oregon, I always went to the same station. It was usually the cheapest, but they employeed the semi-retired old guys. Became good aquantances with them, and most of them drove truck in their lives (logging) so they new how to top a tank off.

They do have self serve, but its like card lock. First time I pumped my own fuel was when I was 18 years old and came down to visit Texas...

It probably drives the cost of fuel up about $.10 a gallon, but it really isnt enough to make a huge difference. I kind of liked it. Especially since the town I lived in was a certain type of rainforest, usually got 100"+ rain a year (nice to sit in a cab and not get wet).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
DEF can't be mixed in th diesel fuel. It has its own tank and is injected into the exhaust for pollution control. Like posted. If it is mixed with diesel it ruins the fuel system and much more. If these newer rigs that require the use of this and you run out.. Instant limp home mode is what your truck is going to be doing. till you refill that tank. What a pantload that must be..

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****, IDIs are probably the only trucks you could run on DEF, these things run on anything :D

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but why would it even be forbidden for people to pump their own fuel? I live in Florida, and I have never even seen a fuel station that isn't self service. I thought full service stations ended years ago..

Well, Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states in the United States that have it written into their state law that motor-vehicle operators are not allow to pump their own gasoline at the "typical" fuel stations (e.g. Shell, Chevron, Exxon, 76, etc.) One reason they don't allow people to pump their own gasoline is they are afraid people are going to start fires from static discharge when they touch the pump handle. However, 48 other states don't seem to be having much of an issue with this...

So, I don't really know what other reasons they have. As FordGuy100 mentioned, you are allowed to pump gasoline at card-lock stations. Typically (in Oregon anyways) card-lock stations are used by loggers, emergency services, trucking companies, etc. Most regular citizens do not use these, as it requires getting a special card to be able to pump fuel and you pay a monthly bill. But, as the OP stated residents in Oregon are allowed to pump their own diesel, because it is not consider a Class 1 flammable liquid (i.e. it is not the easiest liquid to ignite). So the likelyhood that someone will cause a fire while pumping diesel is a lot less than someone pumping gasoline.

As FordGuy100 said....it is pretty nice on the days that it is just flat ******' rain to stay inside your rig and have someone else fill it up. But, I haven't melted in the rain yet.....so I guess it isn't that much of an excuse!

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird how laws like that exist in other states. What do the pump attendees do? Touch a pole to discharge themselves before pumping? Lol

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I modded my front tank so it fills up without shutting off. on the down side it shoots a few ounces of fuel out the modded vent hose when it cuts off. O well it beats spending an hour filling up the tank.

Am I the only one here who smells the nozzle before filling up? I want to make sure its diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online