rear wheel bearings

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I am having a problem getting my drivers side rear bearings out. Somehow water got in there and they are rather rusty. I've tried a crowbar and a puller, tomorrow or Friday I will try a slide hammer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to get it fixed by Monday...so I can drive home for spring break. Oh, its a Ford 10.25 axle.

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
The slide hammer seemed to do more than anything else did, but it is still being stubborn. I will try to get a torch this afternoon and heat things up a bit.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously you got the other side off, so we know this isn't you trying to pull it before it is ready. If you don't mind destroying the bearing, I think I'd rather drill it out then take heat to it. If you can damage the roller cage and get the bearings to fall out, it will come right off. Then you can work on the part that is stuck to the axle.

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
Thats a good idea. I have been hesitant to use a torch(even though I like to play with fire....), so I will try that first.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get an old axle...bolt it to the hub in reverse and tighten it down.....apply leverage to the axle in various angles.....perhaps make a slide hammer out of the axle by having some heavy tube and or weight slid onto it and then weld a nice big Nut on the end and hammer away at the hub to get it off.

JM2CW

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This from an avatar that obviously needs an outfit with shoulder straps. :rolleyes:

LOL