Rear Tank Is Out!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you did any damage...ya ripped a short piece of rubber hose off and left the cap NO BIG DEAL, I'll see if I can find some pics or go take a pic of where that damn clip would be for ya!

Well from my perspective I've completely gutted my filler neck and honestly it flows better but when it burps...I wear it, so I stand aside now!

I'll be doing a TANK vent mod in time. need to get one more part well two...got dual tanks...before I do.

good luck painting and so forth.

Thanks, I found the vent clip and cap and now know where it goes ;Sweet

Ahhhh, don't know yet 'if' I'll be cutting out the fill-tube :dunno

I acid washed the outside and coated it with Rust-neutralizer...a coat of paint going on tonight.
Tomorrow morning I have to figure my options for, how I want to run the new hose-off the sender...I bought a bronze nipple with a hose barb on the end, I may modify it like a mini shower-head > or, just cut a birds-mouth in that expensive hose and call it good.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE...REAR TANK IS IN!

TEST TIME...my only sense of nervousness is...HOPING...the fuel feed and Return lines don't either leak or suck air > > > I'll be testing with 5-gallons of fuel first!

All said and done, dropping the rear tank aint all that bad...just siphon all the fuel out first!
I found it easier to use those long rubber-bungee cords to hold it up in place, then just put one skid-plate on at a time.

Fresh coat of paint, sure is purrrrdy!
You must be registered for see images attach

Below, I smeared some white grease in the pick-up well (lowest point it the tank)...then, inserted the sender with hose attached. Once I didn't leave a mark in the grease, I cut-off 1/4" and added a reverse-birds-mouth...done deal!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 'suction' connection at the rear tank is now sucking air...I had a bad feeling about expecting a 25-year old PLASTIC fuel line to reseal. :frustrate

In time, down the tank comes to add a rubber fuel line.

crab bucket

Crab Bucket
Reaction score
I felt the same way when I changed both tanks last month. The lines to the rear really get pulled on when that tank starts to come down just a few inches. Getting the lines loose from frame gives you a little slack, but not enough to get all the tension off those lines.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I felt the same way when I changed both tanks last month. The lines to the rear really get pulled on when that tank starts to come down just a few inches. Getting the lines loose from frame gives you a little slack, but not enough to get all the tension off those lines.
Truth...but I think my problem was 'removing' that 25 year-old suction-connection at the tank barb, then expecting that hard-plastic feed-line to seal 100% again.:rolleyes:
Using large bungee-cords It's not that difficult to drop it some and plumb-in a rubber fuel line to the frame-area > at that time I'll add an inline filter too.

When I drop the front tank, I won't give the old OE feed-line the benefit of doubt...I'll come off the feed-barb with rubber fuel hose and plumb-in an inline filter there too.

Just need some time for my health to build again :puke:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truth...but I think my problem was 'removing' that 25 year-old suction-connection at the tank barb, then expecting that hard-plastic feed-line to seal 100% again.:rolleyes:
Using large bungee-cords It's not that difficult to drop it some and plumb-in a rubber fuel line to the frame-area > at that time I'll add an inline filter too.

When I drop the front tank, I won't give the old OE feed-line the benefit of doubt...I'll come off the feed-barb with rubber fuel hose and plumb-in an inline filter there too.

Just need some time for my health to build again :puke:

Not sure what you mean cause my pictures I'm visualizing show a filter on top of the tank..IMHO bad idea if it clogs..yer toast..just checking

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean cause my pictures I'm visualizing show a filter on top of the tank..IMHO bad idea if it clogs..yer toast..just checking
No Sir...between the top of the rear-tanks 3/8 suction-barb and where it clips to the driver-side frame is maybe 4' of OE plastic fuel line > I'll cut & replace that with 3/8 rubber fuel line and allow enough slack at the 'frame' to plumb-in an inline filter.
Having the inline filter located at the driver-side frame, I'll be easy to check and replace...and keep the selector-valve free of debris ;Sweet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not really liking the sound of this, since my fuel lines, tanks to stock filter, are Goodyear SAE 30R7. That's not what is in the tanks as a dip tube, but all lines outside the tanks. Mine are not "in and out of fuel", but rather have fuel flowing through them, and open air on the outside.

Am I in imminent danger of those fuel lines disintegrating?
My quick diesel fuel hose education taught me that "submersible" fuel line needs to be SAE30R10...this hose is the same diesel-friendly double layer rubber inside and out.
Outside the tank rubber fuel line should now been upgraded to SAE30R9...this double construction hose is fuel friendly inside, yet the outer layer is not > but fine for outside the tank use.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online