Rear tank capacity

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about this roll over valve....***...I have pulled a few tanks and I cannot find one on any of the tanks I've pulled....

It looks like that tank would accept the stock skid plate too....hmm...may have to look into this particular tank for my 1ton..

Is it as large or larger capacity as the Bronco tank is my?

Here's one of the roll-over valves that my 85 uses. I understand these changed over the years, so I'm just describing what MINE does. There's a little shuttle inside the body, that can slide up and down. When the valve is upright, air can pass either way, so the valve keeps the tank vented to atmosphere. When the valve is turned upside down, the shuttle slides into place, shutting off all venting both ways. Nothing in, nothing out. My valves were originally routed up to the underside of the bed and capped with a little cover that kept insects/dirt daubers out.

You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't want to give up the ability to keep the tanks at atmospheric pressure, so I installed a separate vent line and kept the RO's.

As far as capacity goes, it's around 40 gallons. Whether that's 38, 39 or 40, I don't know. It's listed as the tank for an 85/86 F350 with a 460. All I know is that the sucker is BIG and holds enuff fuel to make your wallet gasp. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say recoated, what is it coated with? Is this something I can order online and do myself?

It's a tough plastic coating that dries sort of translucent red. It's flexible, you can bend it. I know that there are kits out there to coat the inside of motorcycle tanks. Personally, I wouldn't care to mess with one of these big boys. That takes WAY more ambition than I've got! A radiator shop in Longview, TX, did each tank for $150. That included chemically cleaning the tank inside and out, pressure testing for any leakage, soldering in a drain plug and coating the inside of the tank.

Last edited:

DragRag

Reaction score
it would be nice to have 80 in the bed, but i need all 8 feet of my bed on nearly a daily basis. So an extra 20 underneath is a great option for me. Plus, i can always put another 80-100 in the bed. Def gonna need some extra spring if i do that. Can you imagine....20+40+100......160 gallons of fuel. This is $800 worth of fuel! :eek:

You don't need extra spring, I have 80 in the bed, 35 inhe rear, and 20 in the front. I can go almost coast to coast. Doesn't cost a fortune either with WMO blend.....

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you would like I could build you an aluminum one
Me and a friend opened up a aluminum welding shop
If anyone's interested give me a holla 337-654-7291

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one of the roll-over valves that my 85 uses. I understand these changed over the years, so I'm just describing what MINE does. There's a little shuttle inside the body, that can slide up and down. When the valve is upright, air can pass either way, so the valve keeps the tank vented to atmosphere. When the valve is turned upside down, the shuttle slides into place, shutting off all venting both ways. Nothing in, nothing out. My valves were originally routed up to the underside of the bed and capped with a little cover that kept insects/dirt daubers out.

I didn't want to give up the ability to keep the tanks at atmospheric pressure, so I installed a separate vent line and kept the RO's.

As far as capacity goes, it's around 40 gallons. Whether that's 38, 39 or 40, I don't know. It's listed as the tank for an 85/86 F350 with a 460. All I know is that the sucker is BIG and holds enuff fuel to make your wallet gasp. :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, thanks,
I have seen those and I was not sure that's what everyone speaks of.

Now just so I'm clear, you install a fitting into that ROLL over spot...then plumb a vent line into the fill tube...ABOVE where a fuel nozzle would go into correct? Thus the cap is the vent and in case of roll over just a dribble or two comes out as the cap is vented...IS THAT CORRECT?

If it is, I"M on my way to NO more click click click at the fuel station...Woo hoo!

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's the fuel tank mod. Mine is a little different because I left the RO intact and added a hole for a separate fill vent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online