Rear tank capacity

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I was last on here, my 6.9 project has sat for 2 years and I'm about to pick up where I left off.

Has anyone installed one of the large capacity rear fuel tanks? Something like 45 gallons, way up there in size. I last seen it is advertised as gasoline only, is there a good reason for this?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas tanks are galvanized, diesel and galvanize don't get along with each other. That's what I hear.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I just read up on that. Apparently it makes fuel go yuck quicker, but does the zinc harm the truck? I thought zinc was an additive way back when?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your thinking about a differant kind of zink. Don't use zink tanks with diesel. It slowly disolves it and plates out in the injection pump and injecters. It ruins al thet nice fuel stuff. Really don't know what the large fuel tank holds but I thought it was around 42 or 44 gallons...:dunno

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my truck 8 years ago from a very good friend, who drove it off the lot brand new. Since it was a daily driver and I used it for monthly trips to check on mom & dad in OKC, one of the first things I did was install a larger rear tank. Here's the info:

F670173 FUEL TANK Ford F-350 gas truck auto part NEW $80.77

Car Parts Wholesale
17150 S. Margay Ave
Carson, CA 90746

I purchased the tank in August 2005. It's about 40 gallons and there's a pickup adapter kit sold that lengthens the pickup tube. It doesn't do anything for the length of the float arm, so the gauge is only good for the middle 20 gallons or so. :rolleyes: It was a serious PITA to install the tank, but I gotta tell ya, I've loved it! ;Sweet With around 60 gallons of fuel on board, I'm good for almost 1000 miles between fill-ups. Since I was burning my own biodiesel, this meant I never stopped and paid for pump fuel. Trips to OKC were a piece of cake!

I can't help you on the galvanization issue. In October 2009, four years after installing the tank, my truck quit running. No pump output. I pulled the pump and took it to mu pump guy. Mark went thru it and rebuilt and tweaked it. He told me that the internals were in great shape, but my shut off solenoid was toast. This was a relief, cause I'd been burning bio and occasionally, some WMO (50%). I figured one of these had killed the pump. Nope. It was clean and clear. The truck has been sitting for the past 2 1/2 years, and now I'm getting it back on the road. I pulled both tanks this summer and had them cleaned and recoated internally. All looked good. Said all that to say this: I've not had any problems using this gas tank for a fuel tank. YMMV!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my truck 8 years ago from a very good friend, who drove it off the lot brand new. Since it was a daily driver and I used it for monthly trips to check on mom & dad in OKC, one of the first things I did was install a larger rear tank. Here's the info:

Car Parts Wholesale
17150 S. Margay Ave
Carson, CA 90746

I purchased the tank in August 2005. It's about 40 gallons and there's a pickup adapter kit sold that lengthens the pickup tube. It doesn't do anything for the length of the float arm, so the gauge is only good for the middle 20 gallons or so. :rolleyes: It was a serious PITA to install the tank, but I gotta tell ya, I've loved it! ;Sweet With around 60 gallons of fuel on board, I'm good for almost 1000 miles between fill-ups. Since I was burning my own biodiesel, this meant I never stopped and paid for pump fuel. Trips to OKC were a piece of cake!

I can't help you on the galvanization issue. In October 2009, four years after installing the tank, my truck quit running. No pump output. I pulled the pump and took it to mu pump guy. Mark went thru it and rebuilt and tweaked it. He told me that the internals were in great shape, but my shut off solenoid was toast. This was a relief, cause I'd been burning bio and occasionally, some WMO (50%). I figured one of these had killed the pump. Nope. It was clean and clear. The truck has been sitting for the past 2 1/2 years, and now I'm getting it back on the road. I pulled both tanks this summer and had them cleaned and recoated internally. All looked good. Said all that to say this: I've not had any problems using this gas tank for a fuel tank. YMMV!!

Any chance you can post some pics of that thar tank? It would give the rest of us a idea of size etc.

IIRC Toms Bronco graveyard has a PLATE steel manufactured aftermarket tank. 45 Gallons, kinda large but eh...it's worth it. I do not know if it's a plated tank or not.
You must be registered for see images

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-30285-ford-bronco-45-gallon-steel-gas-tank.html

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel should have some good input on using gasoline tanks in a diesel application. With his IDI Bronco and his son's IDI F150, he should be able to let us know if he's had issues with zinc galvanized tanks and diesel fuel.

I can tell you that when I bought a new front tank for my F250 some years ago...... I asked specifically for a diesel tank (over concerns about the galvanized lining). I got a strange look from the parts dude at Ford and he said, there is no such thing as a "diesel specific" fuel tank........ they are the same gas or diesel?????????? :dunno

Heath

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i reused my broncos tank when i did my swap... i too couldnt find any information on diesel only tanks...

My uncle has a rotted out 96 ram2500 with the cummins, over 3 years ago we put a new tank it in, and we just grabbed one from a 1500 series at the yard... that truck still runs fine, even though there is very little left of it

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you can post some pics of that thar tank? It would give the rest of us a idea of size etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

The tank is the same length and width as the stock OEM, but it's twice as high. The seam is in the middle, not offset towards the bottom like on the Bronco tank in the LMC catalog. You can see the metal spacers and longer bolts that come with the tank. These let you use the stock lower straps. The braided line goes to my tank vent mod. I used a Harbor Freight knockout tool to punch a 1.25" hole in the highest point of the tank. Perfect fit for a HELP PCV grommet and 90 degree 3/4" elbow. There's a 3/4" brass elbow soldered into the fuel neck. The 1/4" fuel hose that you see on the right side of the pic runs from the roll-over valve along the other side of the neck and goes through a hole drilled in the plastic fuel box. It sticks up inside the box in the upper left hand corner and vents the tank to atmosphere.

Attachments

• 100_0888.JPG
    100_0888.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 61

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say recoated, what is it coated with? Is this something I can order online and do myself?

Great info about the F350 tank, thanks

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Car Parts Wholesale
17150 S. Margay Ave
Carson, CA 90746

i was considering getting a bed tank, but an extra 20 gallons would be nice underneath the truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for those great shots, I keep hearing about this roll over valve....***...I have pulled a few tanks and I cannot find one on any of the tanks I've pulled....

It looks like that tank would accept the stock skid plate too....hmm...may have to look into this particular tank for my 1ton..

Is it as large or larger capacity as the Bronco tank is my?

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An extra 80 in the bed really gets you down the road without worry, only way to go.

it would be nice to have 80 in the bed, but i need all 8 feet of my bed on nearly a daily basis. So an extra 20 underneath is a great option for me. Plus, i can always put another 80-100 in the bed. Def gonna need some extra spring if i do that. Can you imagine....20+40+100......160 gallons of fuel. This is $800 worth of fuel! :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online