rear oil cooler header price?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of you have read my last thread (My truck is a pos) and i'd like to thank you for the time you took in replying to it.

Me and several other people i have talked to have narrowed my problem of low oil pressure down to the oil pressure relief valve in the rear oil cooler header.

I stopped by the crappy Ford dealer in my area today and they wanted a whopping 285.55 dollars for the part :backoff (yes it was the correct part, i held it in my hand) I had heard that this part costs between 160 and 180 for the part. I decided to hold off on the part until i found out for sure what i should be paying.

I called a local IH dealer and the told me that Ford and International trucks equipped with the IDI diesel had different rear oil cooler headers and theirs would not fit. Is that true?

If anybody knows where i could get a good one for a decent price please let me know. Are they available online?

Thanks
Matt

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is true that the oil coolers were different in the IH trucks, they were more like the ones for the E-Series, maybe even completely different. I can't say if teh headers are teh same or different, somebody will know. You could also check with these guys www.fordparts.com I don't know for sure if they have or can get this part, but they are a good source of Ford OEM parts at a cut rate. The $286 sounds a lot steeper than what I had heard as well.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow! I am selling a whole 85 6.9 core motor for less than that. I have it listed at $200 on ebay.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the valve out and clean it and make sure the spring is not broken, I buffed a ridge of varnish off of mine to free it up and i think it will work fine. Push the valve back in the hole and stake it with a punch. H ad to do it on a 6.9 I built years ago because it stuck closed and would pump the lifters open and kill the engine. Was not spending that much for a new part.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as type 4 said--polish the inside of the bore with triple 0 steel wool--thats what i did with my brothers--three years ago--still working fine--and dont be afraid to stake it!!!! his was stuck open because cocked in bore--

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

I am in Grand Rapids, MI and have a complete oil cooler, I would be glad to sell you what you need. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Darrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "stake", could you please elaborate on the procedure?

I will be out of town all next week.
Thank you for the replies

Matt

sassyrel

Reaction score
when yo take it apart--you see some imprints where they hit a punch to depress metal against the round "washer" to hold it in place--you get it apart--repair the inside-and will have to stake it in place again--thats the punch mark to hold the washer in place--

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online