Rear main seal ?

SIKPUP

Reaction score
What kind of rear main seal does our 7.3s have ? It's just starting to drip now at 140,000 miles. I will be doing a clutch soon and want to get what I need before I start !

Thanks,

Mike :D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Do you know for sure it is the main rear seal? If so. you can gt it at napa or any other autoparts. I ask first bc mine leak and it was not the main rear seal, it was one of the plugs on the oil gallery same area.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Do you know for sure it is the main rear seal? If so. you can gt it at napa or any other autoparts. I ask first bc mine leak and it was not the main rear seal, it was one of the plugs on the oil gallery same area.

I've got a leak in the same area on one of my trucks. Where is this plug you're refering to?

Tom

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
SIKPUP said:
What kind of rear main seal does our 7.3s have ? It's just starting to drip now at 140,000 miles. I will be doing a clutch soon and want to get what I need before I start !

Thanks,

Mike :D

Mike, are you sure in fact it is the rear main.......have you checked the rubber bung plug in the valley pan--just below the intake on the back side?
Or have you checked the oil press port at 12 o'clock- top of block?

The rear main seal is one piece--and is installed in a removeable carrier that bolts to the block.

It's good practice to replace the seal when the clutch is out ;Sweet The ones from IH come with an o/s seal and wear sleeve.

You ARE gonna install a single mass f/w----- ;Really :D regardless of clutch choice, right ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
TLBREWER said:
I've got a leak in the same area on one of my trucks. Where is this plug you're refering to?

Tom

The plug I talk about is at 7 when you look at the back of the engine. Is can't be removed with 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet I whent to auto parts to get something to get it out and they didn't have anything for it so since it was very minimal I just leave that alone, but I'd like to stop it next time.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
The plug I talk about is at 7 when you look at the back of the engine. Is can't be removed with 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet I whent to auto parts to get something to get it out and they didn't have anything for it so since it was very minimal I just leave that alone, but I'd like to stop it next time.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

Tom

SIKPUP

Reaction score
The rear main seal is one piece--and is installed in a removeable carrier that bolts to the block.

It's good practice to replace the seal when the clutch is out The ones from IH come with an o/s seal and wear sleeve.

You ARE gonna install a single mass f/w----- regardless of clutch choice, right
I wanted to know about the rear seal ..... I have a new DMF...that a friend gave me from a 88 IDI rollback to 94 cab to 95 powerstroke swap !!! ( it came out nice ) I'll just put that in and will lucky mod the old one. and be ready for the next time. The clutch/flywheel is original from 93 and the new Turbo power now slips/smokes the clutch disc !!!!! :D I bought this truck new and will do the clutch/work myself, so if I have to do it again, no big deal.

BUT, I still have a oil leak somewhere near the top back of engine ? I looked from under it,and brake cleaned it off ....I need to remove the air inlet fittings/air filter from the Banks just to be able to look with a mirror and flash light, it will be easier after dark. It's not the valve covers , we will see .....

Thanks,
Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron