Rear Fuel Tank Shroud ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1985 F-350 cab-n-chassis came factory-original with two tanks; a steel front tank and a plastic rear tank; although they specify 19.2-gallon (or thereabouts), either tank will hold twenty gallons.

The rear tank has a formed steel shroud around the tank's bottom that conforms to the shape of the tank.

This steel shroud is badly deteriorated from 32 years of hanging underneath amidst road spray and salt.

I am calling it a shroud for want of a better word; it is not really a skid-plate; maybe a skid-pan or rock guard.

My questions are:
1. Is this shroud all that holds the rear tank, or are there tank straps hidden behind there somewhere ?

2. Can this shroud be bought new ?

Thanks for reading.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 89, the skid plate held the rear tank in place, and they had actually put the tank straps across the top of the rear tank, just for storage I guess. When I took my skid plate off I had to take the straps off the top and put them around the bottom of the tank.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I swapped my rear tank out the skid plate was held in with four nuts. Underneath or above that there were two straps which were held in place with two other nuts holding the tank secure. It can probably be purchased but if it's cost prohibitive you can probably use 1/4" steel plate in its place.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I swapped my rear tank out the skid plate was held in with four nuts. Underneath or above that there were two straps which were held in place with two other nuts holding the tank secure.
On my 89, the skid plate held the rear tank in place, and they had actually put the tank straps across the top of the rear tank, just for storage I guess.

Thanks !

I was sort of afraid that all that is holding the tank from falling in the road is that badly rusted plate; I was under it yesterday, checking the rear-end lube, and there is only one spot in the center, about an inch and a half wide, that is holding the two sides together.

Even without this tank, I still have 72-gallons capacity (92 when it is also full); so, my plan now is to run this tank until empty and not use it until repairs have been made; of course, I will have to alter my tank usage habits and fill up more frequently; before, I would run on the big tank and one of the smaller ones, keeping the remaining small tank in reserve; for now, I will just run on the big tank and keep the front tank in reserve.

Having a steel flat with a goose-neck well immediately ahead of this tank allows me to sort of see across the top of the tank; I will try and see if there are any straps on the top.

The damage is mostly along the bottom-center, from side to side.

From the mounting bolts to a couple inches past the bend at tank's bottom appears to still be fairly solid.

I may have a change of plans once I get the plate off where I can better see it; however, the plan right now is: I have several pieces of 3/16 x 1-1/4 about 8-foot long; I will shape three or four of these to conform with the shape of the shroud as best I can and weld them to the outside surface, spaced accordingly.

That should get me at least another thirty years before I need do something again.

One other question: many many years ago, when I first got this truck, the plastic threaded ring that retains the sending unit was broken in one spot and thus would not tighten; not having any success in finding a new ring, I held the broken ring together with a large hose-clamp, applied silicone to the threaded surfaces, and snugged it down.
It has remained thus for many years and many miles; however, if I am going to have to remove the tank, I would sure like to have a new/unbroken ring; does anyone know if and where this can be obtained ?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the steel plate holds the tank
last i checked they were no longer available
I used some 1/8" x 2" wide strapping and made my own straps

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the steel plate holds the tank
last i checked they were no longer available

Thanks for confirming my fear that all that is keeping it from dropping in the road is a bit of rust holding hands.

In a few minutes, I am going to see if I can thread a couple ratchet-straps completely around the whole works just to be on the safe side; if that thing dropped, the rear drop-bumper would catch it and drag the whole mess, sparks flying and fuel spraying; I don't like to push my luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online

Members online