rear end woes

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Im in the process of swapping out rear ends on my 2 one ton trucks. The good rear end,i had to pull the hubs off and pull the drive axles out to get to the parking brake stuff to remove it. When I stabbed back in the axles, I got them pretty close back to where they were before. If Im off some, will I run the risk of shelling out the rear end? I guess its a like a 3.43 or bigger rear end. Aint 100% sure what it is. They look alike.Thats all about all I can about the rear ends. Next what kinda transmission did Ford put in it. C6 or what. The reason for swapping out rear ends the orginal must have shelled out a bearing or something and when it bit the dust. Axle and all came out, tearing up the end of the rear end.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome;Sweet
can you post some pics of what you're working on? namely the rear cover.
It's a pretty simple either/or situation when you know what it is. Either it's a Dana or a Sterling. Both are completely different animals.

mejonz

Reaction score
If its a dana go to the tech info and look at dana axle info some of the files are pretty big so if you have dail up it will take a little time to down load ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... The good rear end,i had to pull the hubs off and pull the drive axles out to get to the parking brake stuff to remove it. .....

That sounds like the Dana 70. That and the Ford 10.25 are full floating axles, and the 10.25 has a drum held on by the wheels, so you can service the brakes without removing the axle. There are no bearings related to the axle on full floating rears. The inner and outer bearing on the spindle supports and holds the wheel on. If you loose the outer bearing, yes it will take the axle out with it, but the pumpkin should be OK. The Dana 61 which was used on some truck is a "semi-floater" which I haven't paid enough attention to in order to understand exactly what that means, but if it is like a Ford 9" rear, then it has one less bearing and no spindle.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
The outer bearing must have overheated/locked up qnd fell apart. The end of the spindle had some serious heat damage, not from dragging the ground. The axle hole was much bigger than it was suppost to be so it couldnt be used again. Now I got the rusted out 6.9 sitting on logs with no rear end under it. But the 6.9 will have a much better body around it and now time to either get another IP for a automatic trans and control stuff . Hate having to pull off a good running IP.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only difference is that the automatic injection pump has the VRV screwed into it or the FIPL for the E40DOA. You should be able to add it, but personally I'd rather have the T19 trans behind it. The gasser T19 will work but you need a diesel bellhousing...if it was diesel originally it will be perfect.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
It was a diesel with the auto originally. The flexplate was swapped out because the diesel had a balancer on the flexplate and the starter wouldnt engague right. Where does the VRV screw in to IP at?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It mounts on the drivers side. There are two boses and 3 screw holes that the VRV bracket mounts to.

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
also the kick down bracket mounts on the driver side of the throttle it just has a screw that holds in in place the bolt that holds it has a shoulder on it if i remember right