REAR END HELP PLEASE!!!

smokey93

Reaction score
HELP!! i have a 98 ram2500 4x4 with a nv4500 trans,and a Dana 80 rear diff .i changed my leaking pinion seal 2 weeks ago i have did this on trucks before. i always mark pinion stud and nut,count the threads and return to where they were before. now i have a drive shaft yoke that is wobbling badly, the nut is still tight .I think it is the pinion bearing. Is it possible to remove the pinion gear and bearing.and replace the bearing and crush sleeve and just re-torque. or will everything in the rear end need to be reshimed and adjusted. :confused: THANKS STUCK IN GEORGIA!!:backoff

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you will need to reset the everything to a point. backlash will need to be checked and adjusted, along with preload. gear mesh pattern should be good but still should check it. also if 1 bearing did fail, i would replace them all. good possibility of metal going threw the othe rbearings.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try tighten the pinion nut until the wobble is elimanated ,,in some cases the loose pinion nut leads to leaking pinion seals ,if you re-installed the pinion nut to its exact position ,most likley it was loose before thats possibly why the seal was leaking ,

smokey93

Reaction score
thanks for the info. but the pinion nut was very tight' had to go to harbor freight to get a socket set. the nut was 1/78, then i had to get my wife to stand on a long cheeter bar beside the truck. the cheeter bar went to the ground," she is a full figured woman" if you know what i am saying. then i hit the socket several times and it poped loose.after that the reference marks had moved to the top. all that pressure and comeing loose so quick could that have distorted the crush sleeve? anyway i found another rear end on c.l. for 200 bucks. havent got it in yet it is a pa:Din by your self but ishould have it today. thanks!!

smokey93

Reaction score
thanks crwyler i found a new rear end on cl and i am going to finish putting it in today. i went ahead bought it for 200 bucks with springs and over load springs. i dont know if i am going to fix the bad one or not. i think the howsing is bent, the spring block is about 3/4 inch off center to the rear and somebody welded it there. i dont know if the houseing could be strightend. or how to check it my self but gears, axels and all else are ok. thanks!!;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828