Rear Gears Help

mightykp

Reaction score
I'd replace the whole axle, but finding one nearby has been a problem. I found one in Tampa... 250 miles away in a junkyard. But even that is uncertain. I called and they didn't guarantee it's still there.
Would like to repair if possible.
But don't want to waste my time and cash.
Thanks for the opinion u2slow... i hope it works out.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look locally for a rear axle on Craigslist or FB marketplace. I had a similar situation a little while back, here was my thread:

I had no trouble finding axles locally once I decided to go that route (hopefully you don’t either), but I did have to get a conversion u-joint to make the 97 axle work in my 89.

mightykp

Reaction score
Thanks for help, fellas. I'm going to try the differential work. I ordered off ebay a hub and will install it after I limp the truck home from the differential work. I installed the current hub with loose race, knowing the truck is going to be towed via flatbed tomorrow to the shop. After that I'll park her home, reinstall the newer hub and hope. If there's no wobble in the inner bearing... maybe some miracle will keep it sound. Not overly hopeful.
But the truck has been a six year rebuild and she's great. I wish I had before and after pics.
and Rock Harvey... I definitely can relate to that thread.
Again, peace to you all.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s another option I considered when I was in your situation: buy a used axle locally and swap it in so you have something to drive around, then do a complete rebuild of your original axle. Once you’re done and you have your rebuilt axle installed, sell the used axle again to somebody else, maybe even for a profit.