rear end check/fill

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ford rear diff that needs a new gasket. No problem, but how do I get the new oil in:confused:

I have cleaned and scraped on the diff both front and back and I can't seem to find a plug anywhere. Can I fill from the speed sensor hole??? if so how much oil should it hold?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drivers side, on the front of the diff housing, is a small plug removed with a 3/8" socket extension. Fill until it runs out of the fill hole.

OR...pony up for an aluminum cover with drain and fill plugs.

Ryan

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have a ford rear diff that needs a new gasket. No problem, but how do I get the new oil in:confused:

I have cleaned and scraped on the diff both front and back and I can't seem to find a plug anywhere. Can I fill from the speed sensor hole??? if so how much oil should it hold?
7.4 pints (3.7 qts )
I had a heck of a time finding the fill hole on mine the first time. The crud buildup was so thick that it took a few trips under there with the cleaning goodies before I found that plug

----------Robert

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filling the diff

I use a piece of 3/8 fuel line, about 15" hold it on the nipple of the gear oil bottle[quart] and it gets the bottle up to make it easer to fill.;Sweet
It worked great for me, The front tank and the sway bar are kinda obsticles.
Good Luck
John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle