Rear disc and axle upgrades for our trucks?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Goose, I looked into this a while back and although I don't have my laptop, I will post some good links.

IMHO there are two things to look at:

All you really need is a good stock donor axle that you can carefully remove the drum brake backing plates and carefully weld on the tabs to mount the econoline disk backing plates. I'll post the link and it will all make sense to you.

The other thing to look into is back a few years ago, replacement brakes were offered as a complete, from the backing plates to the drum or in this case disk, with calipers, pads, hardware, like completely assembled on a piece of cardboard with all the parts assembled and shrink wrapped. I haven't seen it in years, but back when I lived in Cleveland, it was a popular deal as the backing plates rotted out, the little keepers pulled through and then the whole mess of parts followed the rotating group :puke: We used to call it "making rear brake soup", as all the parts were in there :) Anyhow, if you could find that replacement brake offering, and then you see the little piece of mount that was required, I think you'd have a winner.

Lastly: don't overlook the master cylinder. I would try the stocker on your truck but be prepared to replace it with one off of the E350. Don't let anybody tell you that the piston sizing and proportionality doesn't matter. I do hydraulic stuff for a living and having the "wrong" master cylinder can and will create too much bias in one or both directions.

Good luck: I think rear disks are an awesome upgrade idea ;Sweet

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think you'd be much better off just fabricating a new backing plate mounting flange (bit welded to the axle) then trying to remove one and reuse it. As long as you have the dimensions, the machining/cutting would be easy to have done, then just weld it on.

Hardest part to me seems to be finding the parts for a decent price - don't much want to buy a $500 axle just for a few bits, and I haven't seen any later model van in pick-n-pull yet.

I have a gut feeling that most of the truck/van parking brakes are similar enough that you could probably find something from a different rig to work, but haven't been able to confirm that.

http://www.fordmann.com/F350.rear_disc_brakes.htm#F-350_rear_disc%20Top%20of%20Page

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I would agree that making the weld on mount is a great idea, and this is the exact link I was going to attach.

Great minds think alike jalund83 :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to just unbolt the backing plates and either weld or use a bolt on caliper bracket. Most kits use 76' K20 front calipers and rotors - no e-brake and its a 3/4 front caliper, but still doesn't have as much gripping surface as our massive drum brakes.

In the end - its going to be a whole lot easier replacing the shoes and springs...

Sure does look pretty though-
You must be registered for see images attach
Use Caddy 76-78 Eldorado calipers and you get the same pad however you can get park brake then! I have a set sitting in shop right now for a conversion like this.

I do not haul heavy and as such could easily loose the excess weight of drums n such and have better brakes!

Get some decent pads and quality rotors and yer set!

This is a viable option too!

I do like idea of a dodge D80 mind you, but again more weight....but way better brakes!
JM2CW

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just scored the Dodge axle I discussed. 4.10 gears and a limited slip. 80k miles on the truck. Supposed to pick it up on Saturday. As soon as I get a chance to swap it in I will post up all the details.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been toying with a few ideas to run a newer superduty caliper or a second caliper on the bottom like some sports cars. if anyone wants to donate an axle for testing ill have a kit made up sooner :dunno:sly

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not get a 99-04 super duty 10.5 and redrill the bolt pattern and use van disks? Keeps the parking brake, you get disks, updated parts and it rolls right under! I do believe the e brake cables need to be messed with though.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Im looking for a solution too. For dually guys there was a kit but expensive and required 17" rims..

Ive been thinking of a dodge dana 80 disc brake axle when I finish my dually swap. Over the counter parts plus bolt on 16inch wheels. Id rather weld on new perches then stretch out the leaf springs. So some newer vans have a dana 70 disc brake axle instead of the 60?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the disc brake conversion and used brackets from Rough Stuff Specialties. They use GM calipers that are inexpensive and a 96 E350 Rotor. I did not change my master cylinder and it stops great. I will say that I have not towed with it yet. I had fits with the rear adjusters and decided to call it quits with the drums. I also made an expensive mistake of trying the TSM kit. It did not fit with the spacers they provided. I called them and explained the problem, even sent them pictures. Lets just say that after weeks of trying to make it work, I have a bunch of TSM brackets and calipers that are sitting in a box in the garage. At least I was able to use the rotors they provided. I did lose my parking brake! I'm going to install a linelock type parking brake. I have been looking into a line lock type pressure holder that is used on tow trucks that is more of a constant duty than the drag racing type line lock. I just tried to upload some pictures, but my computer just sits and spins. Sorry, but here is the link to the brackets and info. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/STER-DISC.html

Archie

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the disc brake conversion and used brackets from Rough Stuff Specialties. They use GM calipers that are inexpensive and a 96 E350 Rotor. I did not change my master cylinder and it stops great. I will say that I have not towed with it yet. I had fits with the rear adjusters and decided to call it quits with the drums. I also made an expensive mistake of trying the TSM kit. It did not fit with the spacers they provided. I called them and explained the problem, even sent them pictures. Lets just say that after weeks of trying to make it work, I have a bunch of TSM brackets and calipers that are sitting in a box in the garage. At least I was able to use the rotors they provided. I did lose my parking brake! I'm going to install a linelock type parking brake. I have been looking into a line lock type pressure holder that is used on tow trucks that is more of a constant duty than the drag racing type line lock. I just tried to upload some pictures, but my computer just sits and spins. Sorry, but here is the link to the brackets and info. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/STER-DISC.html

Archie
Caddy Eldorado 76-78 rears have parking brake and will fit your brackets FYI

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I decided to go the dodge Dana 80 route was for simplicity. It fits and it has disc brakes made for a one ton truck. The caddy calipers do have ebrakes but are they up to ***** when it comes to stopping a fully loaded one ton and its trailer load of whatever?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason I decided to go the dodge Dana 80 route was for simplicity. It fits and it has disc brakes made for a one ton truck. The caddy calipers do have ebrakes but are they up to ***** when it comes to stopping a fully loaded one ton and its trailer load of whatever?

better than a hydraulic lock or micolock on the brake line for a park brake only....right! and lets face it if we had failure of brakes, and a trailer would our E brakes work in the situation you describe?

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant did caddy brakes have enough to stop our fully loaded trucks.