rear axle identification

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
This axle is not from an IDI, but is from a 1992 F350. I am trying to ID it from the tag. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I got a photo of the tag, so a couple of digits are not clear.

Top row: S1310 (or S131D?)

Second row: L10 10 2 20 (or 2D?)

My best guess is that it is a Sterling with 4.10 gears, since most id tags I have ever seen were not made to be secretive, but informational. It has disc brakes, so I am interested in installing it on my 87 F350 4x4 if everything else is okay.

If this post is in the wrong place, please move it. Thanks!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait... It must have aftermarket disk brakes? Unless someone transplanted it from another truck?

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Pop the cover off and count the teeth on the ring and the pinion? If it's off the truck, that should be pretty easy.

I am doing the ID from 80 miles away, to determine if I want to buy it.. Pretty sure it is 4.10 LS. Not sure if disc brakes are stock. Should be long spline, though?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
92 is when they went to the long spline pinion.
make sure its not a 8 lug FSD?
take a tape measure and measure the spring pads. ~37" truck, C&C will be narrower? like 34 iirc
aftermarket disc will have a GM style calipers and a caliper compression style e-brake.
and internal drum e-brake is 99+?
I may be wrong, but any factory rear disc pre 97 for 3/4 ton + will have a brake on the back of the trans?

sound solid?. its sunday morning meds over here

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Possible help, maybe?

Ford Axle ID

Yes, I saw that a little earlier. It says on page 10 that S131D is 4.10 LS. installed on 90-97 F250. This truck, I am told, was a 92 with 5.8 (gasser). Is there any sure way to tell a long spline pinion without taking off the trunion?

I think the truck is gone, so no telling about a trans mounted brake. Any opinions on after market discs? I would like to use them if possible.

My truck is a UV (cab and chassis), has the short axle and narrow spring mounts, but no bed or anything behind the cab yet. I could weld on new spring mounts to use a SRW setup.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can absolutely remount spring pads. did it on my 71
i give the pinion a few more degrees up on the pinion while youre at it to help axle wrap.

have no input on pinion yoke. ive only had the shorts.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Whoa, Nellie. According to the ID list, S131D came out of a F250, not F350 as I was told. This is not a full floater, not made for 8500+gvw, not sure it is a Sterling 10.25, although the ring gear is listed as 10.25. What the heck.

Did Ford put some version of Sterling in the F250 in 92?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there was a semi-float (car style) 10.25 in some of the regular cab gasser F-250's in that era.

Lugs went to metric in 97 for the F-150 and Light Duty F-250 (7 lug trucks), this one was a 10.25/50 semi float. 99+ SuperDuty was metric 8x170mm. That changed again in I think 08, then again in the newer trucks.....

So there very well could be a Semi-Float 8 lug out of an 92..... but even at that, it wouldn't be disk.... That was a 97/99 Change also.....

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Yes, there was a semi-float (car style) 10.25 in some of the regular cab gasser F-250's in that era.

Lugs went to metric in 97 for the F-150 and Light Duty F-250 (7 lug trucks), this one was a 10.25/50 semi float. 99+ SuperDuty was metric 8x170mm. That changed again in I think 08, then again in the newer trucks.....

So there very well could be a Semi-Float 8 lug out of an 92..... but even at that, it wouldn't be disk.... That was a 97/99 Change also.....

Now, the question is: is it a real Sterling inside? I have a short spline rear that is pretty messed up (wobbly pinion/yoke) and if things fit, I could transfer the gears and yoke to my existing full floater. Plenty of work, but desired results. Will it work?

Last edited:

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have both long and short pinion sterlings here. I’m sure a way to tell by measuring is possible. If still replacement I could measure.
As far as I know the only factory disc brake with 8x6.5 lug pattern is from vans around 98 to 03 or so. But I believe they had Dana 60’s. It has been done to swap the van brakes to the pickup sterling, have to weld on flanges.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Now, the question is: is it a real Sterling inside? I have a short spline rear that is pretty messed up (wobbly pinion/yoke) and if things fit, I could transfer the gears and yoke to my existing full floater. Plenty of work, but desired results. Will it work?

That, I don’t know. I was never inside the axle on Dad’s truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726